Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot download .pbix after updating dataset with External Tools (XMLA Read/Write)

Hi,
After updating a dataset on a premium capacity using Power BI ALM toolkit, it is not possible to download .pbix reports that are referencing this dataset from PBI service.
If I overwrite the dataset using PowerBI Desktop "publish function, I am able to download the reports as .pbix from PBI service once again. 
I understand that one cannot download the dataset itself as .pbix, but I dont get why the reports cannot be downloaded... 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

The reason being is that the PBIX is actually made up of different aspects that are broken apart. 

When you edit the dataset using the XMLA end point it then cannot be put back together.

That is why I always recommend having the initial PBIX and always publish from the PBIX to ensure you have a working copy.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
cmeu
Advocate III
Advocate III

@GilbertQ Is there some information somewhere that I can read why this isn't possible?

When I make an edit and save to a local pbi desktop instance via tabular editor / xmla to the ssas built in, I can then publish that modified file from the desktop client and it can package everything back into PBIX.

What is different about doing it in-service that prohibits that?

Hi @cmeu 

The difference is when you edit in PBI Desktop and then upload you have your source code completed before it gets uploaded. You then also have a copy of the actual file.

Once uploaded to the Power BI Service, the file is actually taken apart for the different aspects in Premium. Then if you edit it in the PBI Service with it in seperate parts it cannot be put back together.

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

The reason being is that the PBIX is actually made up of different aspects that are broken apart. 

When you edit the dataset using the XMLA end point it then cannot be put back together.

That is why I always recommend having the initial PBIX and always publish from the PBIX to ensure you have a working copy.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors