Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot display visuals online but can on desktop

Hi there, 

About a month ago we split our database onto 2 servers, so I had to update and fiddle around with pretty much all of my BI reports. To accomodate the two different servers in BI, I decided to pull in the exact same query I have always run via SQL Direct query for both servers and do a UNION of the 2 tables, and then build out all my visuals and do all my calculations on the UNIONed table. I then repushed them to the service, and scheduled them to update every night, which is how I had my old reports working no problem. 

Ever since I did this, all I get is "can't display the visuals" on all of the reports. Below are the details of the error message I receive: 

Couldn't load the data for this visual
The query referenced calculated table 'SalesOrg' which does not hold any data because evaluation of one of the rows caused an error.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Activity ID: 20ca3c20-eb20-404f-acec-a72a540e0083
Request ID: cf80c413-e922-b4d1-3d37-91008baafe35
Correlation ID: 268199c9-48bb-59d3-187c-0163ddf778cf
Time: Wed Oct 10 2018 08:21:44 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)
Version: 13.0.6907.208
Cluster URI: https://wabi-canada-central-redirect.analysis.windows.net

The thing is, it works perfectly in Desktop: I can refresh the entire dataset no problem and the visuals always display correctly. Is the service having trouble displaying data form a table that is made by a UNION?

Thanks! 

5 REPLIES 5
Orliktom
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I experienced the same error with Union. I found out that it was only due to inconsistent data types. Some of numbers were recognised as text. Once it was corrected online version is working fine.

Best regards

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

I'd like to confirm this: there are two or more DIRECT Query queries from TWO servers. If so, I'm afraid it isn't supported in the Power BI Service for now. Because this is the new preview feature of the Composite Model that is only in Desktop for now. We can only connect to one source a time in a Direct Query mode before. 

Please wait for the release of Power BI Desktop October in which the Composite Model could be supported in the Service. 

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dale,

Looking at my queries, I can see they are all set to "Import", as opposed to "DirectQuery", so it would appear that the data is not using this method. I write an sql statement for most of the datasets that I am importing from sql, so not sure if that would effect it or not.  I guess a more true statement would be that I Import data from two different servers, and then union those tables. 

Knowing this now, do you have any other recommendations of what I can try to display these visuals online?

Here is what the query looks like. On the left you can see I pull in 3 tables, twice--one form our canadian server and another time from our us server. I then combine those tabels via UNION. Queries.jpg

Hi @Anonymous,

I tried again with your latest information. It seems good. I would suggest you check the privacy level as the snapshot below shows. 

Since all the data is imported, the report should be there. 

Cannot-display-visuals-online-but-can-on-desktop

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
nirvana_moksh
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Are there too many data points for the visual that you are trying to load on the Service which is failing it from loading? Try filtering data on the Service and see if the visual renders.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors