Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

aks

Cannot create new enterprise gateway data source to SSAS server

I am trying to create a new enterprise gateway data source to a SSAS database and receiving the error below.  The credentials I am using are a Windows AD service account that is able to access the database in other applications.   I have also created several gateway data sources to SQL Server using the same credentials without a problem.  Can somebody please tell me how to resolve this?

error.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@aks

This is the expected behavior when the user is not having Admin Permissions. please refer https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-enterprise-manage-ssas/ and following screenshot.

SSAS_Gateway.PNG

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@aks

This is the expected behavior when the user is not having Admin Permissions. please refer https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-enterprise-manage-ssas/ and following screenshot.

SSAS_Gateway.PNG

Best Regards,

Herbert

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @aks,

I'd like to ask some detail information about your issue to ensure where the issue is.

1. Open SSMS and direct use this account to login SSAS database.

If can't access to the database, please check the account to make sure if this account not have the enough permission.

2. Check the settings of SSAS.

Lesson 2: Setting SSAS Server Security and Server Properties

3. Check the network settings if the database not install in the computer which contain the on-premise gateway.(firewall, port or other settings)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin,

I have asked the gateway server admin to see if they can ping the SSAS server from the gateway machine.

In the meantime, I checked and the service account has the Read defintion pemission set on the SSAS database and is able to login via SSMS and browse and query cubes in the database.  Is Read definition sufficient for the account to connect to SSAS from the gateway?

Hi @aks,

I reproduce your issue.( when I modify the permission to "Read" and try to create a new datasource, the issue appears.)
I will report this issue and update here if it has been fixed.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors