Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot create a new Report based on Power BI App dataset?

Hello,

I have created a Power BI App that consists for now of a Report and one Dataset...

My intention was to have the fixed report that will be consumed by most of the end users but also give the ability to some power users to explore the dataset directly... this does not seem to be possible or am I doing something wrong?

I my workspace I create new report and go to get new data, try to search the APP but it does not show up...

Can anyone clarify this?

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Power BI App is not editable. App users are not allowed to edit report or create new report based on dataset. They have only read permission to the content inside App.

As a workaround, you can create content packs containing relative datasets and reports. Users can get content packs via "Get Data" -> "My Organizations". To edit the content pack, they should first  make a copy of content pack, then, they have edit permission to dataset and report.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yulgu-msft,

Really?? So in order to overcome this (that I think most advanced business users will require) you are telling me that the solution is to use an aproach that is being deprecated soon? I understand that an App cannot be edited... but that does not mean that the published dataset should not be explored in a self-service way.

This is really weird that I have to go in that direction or replicate something that I wanna have some governance on top of it... makes no sense to me.

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors