Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dhouchin
Frequent Visitor

Cannot create a group

We have had a few people in our organization with Pro licenses who are unable to create a group.  Here is the error we are getting:

Something went wrong.

Couldn't create the group
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Activity ID2f6f31fc-6196-4d36-8f5f-a3158937dcdc
Request ID84b22c4a-1c6a-52e3-8756-353424a27bdd
Correlation ID64c39748-7732-942d-9f59-29a984e806b5
Status code500
TimeThu Oct 27 2016 10:11:47 GMT-0500 (Central Standard Time)
Version13.0.1700.457

Any thoughts on how to correct this issue?

6 REPLIES 6
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Modified:

The group creation in Power BI is now controlled by the group creation in Exchange Online. Please check if Exchange admin have disabled it. For more information, please refer to this article: Prevent Users from Creating Groups in Office 365.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msftQiuyun Yu,

If only FTE individuals are able to now create groups, and not Pro licenses users, how exactly are we expected to colaborate with this software?  Given that there are only 2 differences regarding the Pro and Free licenses, The ability to colaborate accross O365 groups and an increase data refresh, per your page at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/, what is the point of a Pro license?  Is there another method available so multiple users can colaborate on a shared report and dataset?

Hi @dhouchin,

All Power BI pro users are able to create a Power BI group, if group creation option is not disabled in your Office 365 tenant.

To share reports and datasets with multiple users, you can create a content pack: Organizational content packs: Introduction.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I work for a univiersity, so as far as I know we should not be considered vendors.  Do I need to reach out to your support department to resolve this issue?

Hi @dhouchin,

I got the feedback that the group creation in Power BI is now controlled by the group creation in Exchange Online. In your scenario, please check in your Office 365 tenant whether group creation option is disabled. For more information, please refer to this: Prevent Users from Creating Groups in Office 365.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Hi @dhouchin,

I already report this issue, and tried involve someone more familiar with this topic for a further look at this issue. Sometime delay might be expected from the job transferring. Your patience is greatly appreciated.  

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors