Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rdnguyen
Helper V
Helper V

Cannot create Calculated column in shared dataset

Hi all,

I published a dataset to workspace to share with others, then find out shared users cannot create calculated column, only possible with measure.

The goal is to let user have more autonomy in building the report with customized columns, then what should be the best practice?

Sharing dataflow seems to be unfavorable as the failure downstream in a refresh causing issue all upstream.

Kindly advise!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @rdnguyen 

If you have existing Power BI Premium Gen 2, Premium per capacity (PPC) or Premium Per User (PPU) workspace, you might consider creating a PowerBI datamart.

After you load the data into the datamart, you can model the data in the datamart such as creating relationships, creating mesures.

Get started with datamarts 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @rdnguyen 

If you have existing Power BI Premium Gen 2, Premium per capacity (PPC) or Premium Per User (PPU) workspace, you might consider creating a PowerBI datamart.

After you load the data into the datamart, you can model the data in the datamart such as creating relationships, creating mesures.

Get started with datamarts 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-easonf-msft,
not sure if I understand correctly. I have the same use case as the original poster where another department has built a dataset and in order to map it with our data I connected to it and used calculated columns and tables based on the direct query table. Now I can´t refresh my dataset anymore via the service, which is a no go for the users.

I tried to move the ETL and data model steps inside datamarts, but you can´t get data from a shared dataset in datamarts? Or do you mean that the original source data, in my case from the other department, uses datamarts instead of a dataset? That would not work in my case... Or do you see any other workaround?

Best regards
Lennart

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @rdnguyen 

Currently it is not possible for users to create calculated columns in the dataset, because for a calculated column the entire table needs to be reprocessed. Whilst when creating a measure it is only executed when it is put into a visual.

If you would want this to work please find the idea at https://ideas.powerbi.com

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks Gilbert, I will wait for the Datamart then 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors