Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gnanasekar
Helper III
Helper III

Cannot connect to the mashup data source

Dear All,

In my PowerBI service have 15 reports and it is connected through gateway with SQL database.

Last two weeks only Fours reports are not refreshed.

If I refreshed manually, it display error "Cannot connect to the mashup data source" and it is targeting one particular table only.

I can't understand error and root -cause of this issue.error.jpg

Can you help to slove this issue.

By

Gnanasekar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer

Thank you for reply.

It is working well in PowerBI desktop. Both are same. no logic was changed.

I found root cause. I am not assign database directly in source step of the report. After I given database in source step in the report, this error was gone away.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
MartinF
Frequent Visitor

We have a similar issue. We are getting the same error message for the scheduled refresh of a few Power BI Datasets in the Power BI Service. But the strange thing is the on demand refresh works mostly in Power BI Service but the scheduled refresh fails always. There also only a few datasets affected. All others (with same or other data sources) works fine.

Our data sources are SQL Server relational database and SSAS Multidimensional. We tried already differenct time windows for the scheduled refresh but it does not matter.

Does anyone any ideas what could be the reason.

Thanks and best regards,

Martin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did anyone find a fix to their issue around this? I am also getting an error (cannot connect to mashup datasource) when trying to refresh a report in the service. The source is a SQL database and it refreshes fine in desktop.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please let me know if anyone finds this solution. I am getting the "cannot connect to the mashup data source" error as well. This is for my scheduled refresh on the web service. 

@Gnanasekar Have you opened the desktop and validated the query? I don't know what broke, but it could just require a re-publish of the Desktop after you've confirmed the logic hasn't changed.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer

Thank you for reply.

It is working well in PowerBI desktop. Both are same. no logic was changed.

I found root cause. I am not assign database directly in source step of the report. After I given database in source step in the report, this error was gone away.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you mean by "assign database directly in source step"?  How did you correct the query?  I'm having the same issue. The refresh works in Power BI, but won't refresh via the schedule.  The error says it can't find a table.  Thanks!

Hi @Anonymous

Please specify the database during source configuration with SQL.

Database.png

It will help to solve your error.

By 

Gnanasekar 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear All,

I am having a similar issue while refreshing my report on Web with a connection to  a HANA database.I  am able to refresh it on Power BI Desktop but getting the error "connection string used for mash up datasource is invalid" on web.

Any valuable inputs from experts is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Veena.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors