Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Barnee
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Cannot connect to Power BI dataset

Hi all,

I cannot connect to a Power BI data set from Power BI service or open an already made PBI report which is based on a Power BI dataset. I experience this issue for about 1 and a half weeks now.

I get the following message, Power BI desktop freezes and I have to use Task Manager to close it:
Cannot load model

We couldn't connect to your model in the Power BI Service. The dataset may have been deleted, renamed, moved, or it is possible that you don't have permission to access it.

https://api.powerbi.com

None of the above-mentioned reasons seems to be present so I don't know what to do with this. 

Do you have any idea about this?

Thanks in advance!

Bests,

Barna

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Seth_C_Bauer So we ended up taking a look at it with my network colleague and we've come to the conclusion that Power BI started to ask for MSSQL and https requests which couldn't get through our proxy. It's strange because we haven't done any changes related to that so probably something had to have changed on MS side. I couldn't find anything in the updates or Power BI blog so I can be wrong of course. Thanks for the help again!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

@Barnee To clarify, is this report in your workspace or a shared workspace? Could someone have updated your permissions? Can you create a report on the dataset in the Power BI Service? Are there other datasets or report issues you are having within the same workspace? Does the file download, then blow up in Desktop?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer ,

it's the same in a shared workspace and in my own as well. I'm an admin in the shared workspace as well and it happened with multiple (two to be exact) workspaces where I am an admin at.  

When I download a simple file from a workspace it works.

The problem occurs when I trying to create a new file and connect to a dataset from the Service and when I open an already created report from my directory which has a datasource from a Power BI dataset.

(I created a workspace and there is currently two reports/files in it built on to the same dataset - the master is OK and working but the one I created on to the masters' dataset has this problem)

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer ,
so on one hand I just updated the latest version of Power BI desktop and it's still the same. On the other hand, I tested it with two other colleagues and it's the same for them as well. Can it be linked to some IT-network security issues or such? 

@Barnee This is an odd one, as I think it should work. Are your workspaces v1 or v2? That matters more with the shared datasets, and share datasets across workspaces (tenant setting), but just connecting to a different source should work. If it is just a simple connection... you may need to contact support as this doesn't add up for me.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer ,

thank you I will do so. Could you please help me with the v1, v2 workspace question because I'm not familiar with what it should refer to.

Thanks again!

@Barnee v1 workspaces are tied to O365 groups, so when you create one you create a universal group. This caused a bunch of mayhem in an org for obvious reasons. The new v2 workspace (which you can enable in admin portal - tenant settings) breaks that tie and allows you to create workspaces that are Power BI specific only. You can link OneDrive folders to them, but inherently they don't have one. There is a bunch of new functionality (shared datasets across workspaces being one) that require a v2 workspace.

@Seth_C_Bauer , thanks, I see now. One of them is linked to an O365 group, but all the others are v2 workspaces.
But sadly the problem is all the same for all of them and for my personal workspace as well. I will contact support and get back If there is a solution. Thanks for the help! 🙂

@Seth_C_Bauer So we ended up taking a look at it with my network colleague and we've come to the conclusion that Power BI started to ask for MSSQL and https requests which couldn't get through our proxy. It's strange because we haven't done any changes related to that so probably something had to have changed on MS side. I couldn't find anything in the updates or Power BI blog so I can be wrong of course. Thanks for the help again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors