Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

casto_jm
Regular Visitor

Cannot connect to Azure Analysis Service model using non administrator user account

Hi everyone,

I've manage succesfully connect live to our Azure Analysis Servicemodel and report is working after publishing to power bi service. The problem is that when other users (which have access to this report and don't have administrator role on Azure Analysis Service) cannot access the report because power bi cannot connect to model when they are accessing report. From my account or other users with admin privileges everything is fine. How to fix this behaviour?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ok we found out where is the problem - Roles in AAS works a little bit different comparing to Power BI and it not only filter data but determine what permissions are granted to mentioned members, so we only added new members to existing in our case role in AAS model using SSMS.

casto_jm_0-1652954818795.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AnkitKukreja
Super User
Super User

Hi! @casto_jm 

What roles does a user have on AAS and do you see any errors? Can you share the error details?

If my response has successfully addressed your question or concern, I kindly request that you mark this post as resolved. Additionally, if you found my assistance helpful, a thumbs-up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ankit Kukreja
www.linkedin.com/in/ankit-kukreja1904

Hi @AnkitKukreja 

Unfortunately I have only message in polish but I can translate it for you:
Cannot connect to data model

We cannot open report, because Power BI service cannot establish connection to data model in Azure Analysis Services. Check if you are using correct credentials and contact with data model owner or Azure Analysis Services administrator to make sure that data model is available.

Try again later or contact with technical support. If you contact with technical support, provide these details.

casto_jm_0-1652860732335.png

In terms of roles, user which couldn't connect to data model doesn't had any rights, we tried with admin role and it worked, then we switched to contributor and stopped working. We found out in microsoft documentation that user connecting to model has to have admin rights but we didn't think that this applies to every user.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/analysis-services/analysis-services-manage-users

casto_jm_1-1652860738984.png

Can you try Owner permission instead of Admin. Also, I would advice if you have multiple users, then create an AD group and add the required users to that group and provide access at one go.

If my response has successfully addressed your question or concern, I kindly request that you mark this post as resolved. Additionally, if you found my assistance helpful, a thumbs-up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ankit Kukreja
www.linkedin.com/in/ankit-kukreja1904

Owner role doesn't work with or without a group. I think it's worth mentioning that it's only working when user is added as admin but in only in Analysis Services Admins

casto_jm_0-1652885061975.png

Ok we found out where is the problem - Roles in AAS works a little bit different comparing to Power BI and it not only filter data but determine what permissions are granted to mentioned members, so we only added new members to existing in our case role in AAS model using SSMS.

casto_jm_0-1652954818795.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors