Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rnaqawa
Regular Visitor

Cannot connect Power Bi Service to PostgreSQL hosted in Azure

Suddenly we started to face this issue, we are unable to connect Power Bi Service directly to PostgreSQL Database hosted in Azure.

we started seeing this error:

An exception occurred: DataSource.MissingClientLibrary: Please install Npgsql version 4.0.10.0 or earlier. (Session ID: abb6d1a5-0364-408e-a546-a5c1881b05c2, Region: uk)

Knowing that an on Prim data gateway is not needed to connect PostgreSQL as a source, referring to Microsoft documentation.

all of discussions and threads are saying that i have to download NPGsql v4.0.10 but in our case we are not using any on prim data gateway.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Rnaqawa ,

Sorry for my lose. We have submitted to internal icm 311546402 , engineers are doing their best to fix this issue . please be patient and I will give you feedback here once there is any progress.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Cumaali

@Rnaqawa Did you find the solution. I have been trying for days, but I could not succeed. Can you please let me know the details?

michaeluls33
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

Has there been any update on this issue? I am receiving this same error when trying to connect to postgres through an on-prem data gateway using Power BI Online. 

I can connect on Power BI desktop using Npgsql, however, this doesn't appear to be an option on Power BI Online...

Yes! I got the dataflow to save. One of the tables had a column with the name "TSV" 

Once that was removed, it saved. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got an update from the support team that they have fixed the issue, which I can confirm seeing my datafloiws running again. 

I'm getting an issue still. In power query i see the data and can perform cleaning steps on PostreSQL data but upon save and close I get this on refreshes:

"Error: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'We don't support CLR type 'NpgsqlTypes.NpgsqlTsVector'.' Request ID: 3249c2a8-7b04-89f6-9e2d-38e0db0838ec Activity ID: 92c2b05f-2e76-4a2b-ad4c-ceb9116171ad"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also an update from my side, I havber reached out to the powerbi team via our support contracts and showed the issue in a call. They are further investigating it indeed. Looks like the desktop app works fine, also the refreshes when you publish and refresh the report online, so that could be a temp workaround.
As soon as I get more info back from my support contact I'll add a reply to this thread.

Thank you so much Rutger, Fingers crossed.

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Rnaqawa ,

Sorry for my lose. We have submitted to internal icm 311546402 , engineers are doing their best to fix this issue . please be patient and I will give you feedback here once there is any progress.

Best Regards,

Hi, Community Support Team _ Caitlyn.

Can you give us an update on  internal icm 311546402?  Has this been resolved, or should I start looking at another solution?

Thank you, Caitlyn 
Looking forward... 

Loan
Frequent Visitor

Hello, same thing for me, since Tuesday (Mar 26th) too.
All my Dataflows using Postgresql connection returnes this error (Error: DataSource.MissingClientLibrary: Please install Npgsql version 4.0.10.0 or earlier)

The connection is directly in PowerBi Service (app.powerbi), online, so it's not possible to install or downgrade the Npgsql version.

Looking for a solution too !

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can relate, same issue here since Tuesday (Mar 26th) where one of my dataflows using Postgres returnes the same error (Error: DataSource.MissingClientLibrary: Please install Npgsql version 4.0.10.0 or earlier). As it was created in the MS Managed PowerBI environment (https://app.powerbi.com/) I cannot install anything.

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Rnaqawa ,

The PostgresSQL connector doesn't work out of the box, you need to do quite a few things first

1. Install Npgsql which allows .NET access to PostgresSQL.  I installed it using the Pakagae Manager Console in Visual Studio; detailed instructions are here: https://www.nuget.org/packages/Npgsql/

You need to connect over SSL to AWS which isn't setup by default (on my Windows 10 machine anway)

2. Download the AWS public key from here https://s3.amazonaws.com/rds-downloads/rds-combined-ca-bundle.pem

3. Convert that to a certificate using https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-converter.html (convert to PKCS#7/P7B)

4. Import that certificate to the Trusted Room Certificate described here http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~gsw2c/GridToolsDir/Documentation/ImportTrustedCertificates.htm

5. Test access from Power BI desktop using the PostgresSQL connector and it should work

This was resolved after following the steps below ( Original link on - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Connecting-to-PostgresSQL-hosted-on-AWS... )

Please check if it helps.

Best Regards,

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Caitlyn 

Thank you for your message 

I totally understand what you are saying, its just that our PostgreSQL is hosted in Azure not AWS. And as you know when hosting in Azure there is no need for a data gateway to connect from Power bi service to the DB.

And we have been working like this with no issues for the past 6 months.

It looks like suddenly PowerBI service has upgraded their version of npgsql 

Rnaqawa
Regular Visitor

Hi @HenriqueReis  Can you please elaborate more ?

HenriqueReis
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi,

Have you already check all the data format inside the program?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors