Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot change the data label number formatting in Power BI charts...

I can't seem to find out how to change the number formatting for data labels in Power BI charts. It seems to only have the format of "#.##k" (e.g. 100,000 is displayed as 100k). 

I have to be overlooking something; this can't be the only data label number format...

Thanks for your help!

3 REPLIES 3
andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous there are to ways to format.  One is at the data level, another one is at the chart level.  Data level formatting is available in Excel and Power BI Desktop.. in the Desktop, you need to click on a field you are trying to format, and then go to Modeling tab on the Ribbon and pick the Data type and a format (see the pic below)

Capture.PNG

For chart level formatting you need to click on a chart and then click on a Paint brush icon on the Visualizations pane and then click on Data Labels.  Now you can pick Display Units and precision... The formatting is not very robust yet but it is much better than before.

Hi,

I've got a similar problem, all I want to do is to format chart label but without creating a measure. The reason behind this is, when you crete even a simple measure you loose ability to 'see records' (drill down to see line data). I just want to drag e.g. Invoice Total field, select SUM and format is as $127,000 not 127000 WITHOUT creating a measure and selecting format, any ideas? Thanks, Dan

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

What format are you looking for? If you are using a back-end data model with Power BI Desktop or Excel, you can change the column type to "Text" or create a new column based on the value from the other column and have it be Text. Or, you should be able to parse it up and change it to your needs in a new column and then use that column instead. Not sure what you are going for.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors