Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Stacia
MVP

Cannot access reports or explore dataset after uploading PBIX to Power BI

I have a PBIX file that I created with data sources from SQL Server. I have the personal gateway installed and running as a service. I uploaded the PBIX file to the Power BI site with no problem using the Publish button in Power BI Desktop. Initially, when I clicked on the dataset, it told me that I wasn't using a supported data source. I deleted and uploaded the file by using the Get Data option on the Power BI site. After a few minutes, I was able top open the Schedule Refesh page for the dataset page. 

When I click on the dataset, it tells me the personal gateway is online. I open Manage Data Sources  and had to add credentials (Windows Authentication) to clear the warning symbols there. No warnings appear now. I scheduled a refresh, so it appears the dataset portion is working. However, if I try to explore the dataset, I get the spinning icon and it just hangs. 

It looks like the reports uploaded also. I tried with a one-page report, a two-page report, and a three-page report (uploading and replacing the same PBIX file). No change. Each time when I click on the report name, the spinning icon displays and it hangs. I never see the report. 

The size of the PBIX file with the data is 27MB.

4 REPLIES 4
meysun
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

It's a known issue that When you publish the file directly from the designer, it comes as unsupported datasources for schedule refresh. This bug is already fixed and is making it's way to the production server. Until then, for the next could of days, you can upload the pbix file using browser as a workaround if you need to schedule refresh. 

Stacia
MVP

Curiously, it "magically" started working as soon as I uploaded an Excel workbook. I can see the reports and dataset from the PBIX file now, but I couldn't see them just before I did the Excel upload. 

I've seen it take some time for things to get sorted out with larger files, there seems to be some processing that goes on in the background after the file is loaded. Out of curiousity, did you have more than 4 data sources in your PBIX file because I have seen it only bring in the first 4 and am curious if that is fixed.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Well, technically there was only one data source - a SQL Server database, but multiple queries (more than 4) referencing that same data source. I waited several hours and didn't see the situation resolve until I loaded an Excel workbook. Perhaps coincidence, perhaps not. I'll be deleting the PBIX file I started with this week and starting fresh again as we are revamping the model. We'll see if the problem is reproducible. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors