Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cannot Turn Off Data Labels

Overnight, the data labels turned on for the line values in a bar and line visual. I did not want them on and had them shut off previously. I tried to republish with the data labels turned off but the online version of the report still has the labels turned on. The "Show" under Customize Series and Data Labels option is stuck in the On position and does not allow me to shut it off.

9 REPLIES 9
DaveLaidlaw
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue, and I'm using the latest version as of 5/11/2021.  There must be something conflicting in my custom JSON theme, or it's a bug.  If I use any other pre-built theme, the Data Labels on/off switch works just fine.  But as soon as I load my custom theme, this issue occurs and it's a deal breaker.  Here's a snippet of my "labels" section, which allows me to set it either 100% off or 100% on at all times (meaning - I can set it one way or the other in the theme, but our users and I cannot change this option through the Power BI Desktop user interface):

"labels":[{
  "show":false,
  "showSeries": false,
  "color": {"solid":{"color":"#808080"}},
  "labelDisplayUnits": "0",
  "labelPrecision": "0",
  "labelOrientation": "horizontal",
  "labelPosition": "Auto",
  "enableBackground": true,
  "backgroundColor": {"solid":{"color":"#FFFFFF"}},
  "backgroundTransparency": 30,
  "fontSize": 9,
  "fontFamily": "Roboto, Arial, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif"
}]

Full JSON code can be found here:  https://codepen.io/davelaid/pen/poejGwG 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having a very similar issue but trying to get the background to turn on the data labels for a Line and Clustered Column Chart.  It seems as if there is something wrong between the desktop and the service during publishing.   Tried all the above solutions and no luck with fixing the problem. 

Hi there

Could you make sure that you have got the latest version of Power BI Desktop Installed?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

4ndersonCosta
Advocate I
Advocate I

I've notice the same problem in all my reports! I can not change all of them.

Even when you have the labels turned off on your desktop files, they turn on when you publish it. I even tried to turn the labels off using "Edit Report" on Power Bi service, and there you can see the option is stuck as ON and you can't change it.

How can we report this issue? Is this post enough?

Thx.

What happens if you re-publish your PBIX from Power BI Desktop?

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

If I republish from the desktop and the data labels are turned off, they turn back on online.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This issue is resolved for me this morning. I did not do anything to fix it. It fixed on its own.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Would it be possible to clear your browser cache and see if that resolves the issue?

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried that, but it did not solve my problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors