Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarkEvansHW
Helper II
Helper II

Cannot Share App Externally?

I need to share a Power BI app with individuals that work for an external client. This is using a new, premium workspace.

I would like to test this so I can document and communicate to our clients what to expect when we share with them. When I shared this with my own external email address to test and document, it took the email and updated the app. My email never received any notification. I then went in and signed up for Power BI with my external email address. There was an error on the last step for some reason, but now when I go into Power BI with that email address, it looks normal.

However - no email notification. No shared content when I log in to Power BI. What does this mean? How can I make this work?

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

What happens if you copy the App link and go to it using the external user id?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I get the following message: 

Sorry, we couldn't find that app

It may have been deleted or you may not have access to view it.

Hi @MarkEvansHW ,

Can I know how do you share App with your own external account before? With Azure AD B2B? If you got any mail in external account mailbox after shared? 

In normal situation, when you share content with external users, they will receive an email with a link to the shared contents. The external user must sign in with their organization email address, they'll receive a prompt to accept the invitation after signing in. After signing in, the app opens for these external users. It will not in the usual Power BI portal. If they already exit the app and want to get to the app again, they should bookmark the link or save the email and access it by the saved link. You can check this documentation for full details.

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I used the "permissions" tab within the "publish app" function.

I have an update. I tried adding another external email (my personal yahoo.com email) - it worked as expected. Not clear why first email didn't work. That makes me slightly nervous about how it might work with other external email addresses, but I will have to see what happens.

Hi @MarkEvansHW ,

Which type of your first email address? Is it a work or school email address? And whether the feature "Export and sharing settings" be enabled properly?

sharing external.jpg

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors