Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alindquist
Helper II
Helper II

Cannot Republish Report Using Shared Dataset To Service

I built a report using a Power BI dataset as the data source. I was able to publish this report to a new workspace (different than the workspace that holds the dataset), but after publishing I am not able to publish and replace the report. When I try to publish and replace the existing report I get the following error message:

Couldnt Publish To Power BI Error.PNG

I tried upgrading to the latest version of Power BI Desktop but I still get the same error. I also tried deleting the report from the service then publishing it again. The first time I publish it, it is successful but when I try to publish and replace again I get the same error message. How can I resolve this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @alindquist ,

Is this an embedded report/dashboard?  And, do you have multiple dataset with the same name?

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
alindquist
Helper II
Helper II

@collinq I had a report in the same workspace as the dataset with the same name as the new report I was trying to publish to the separate workspace. When I renamed the new report I stopped getting the issue. That makes sense that it would initially publish but error out when I tried to republish, since it wouldn't know which report to replace.

alindquist
Helper II
Helper II

@collinq ok, that sounds like it's not the problem I'm having then. I am able to publish the report to a different workspace already with no issues. The error comes up when I want to publish updates to that report that I have already successfully published to the separate workspace.

Hi @alindquist ,

Is this an embedded report/dashboard?  And, do you have multiple dataset with the same name?

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @alindquist ,

You will need to get with your Power BI Admin to determine if this is allowed.  They may have the ability to publish datasets across workspaces as disabled.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@collinq would that only affect publishing and replacing a report using a dataset from a different workspace? I am able to publish the report to a different workspace than the dataset, the error comes when I try to publish and replace the report after initially publishing it.

So for example, the dataset is in workspace A. I built the report using that dataset as the data source then I published to workspace B without an error. Then I made some changes to the report and when I try to publish and replace the report to workspace B I get the error.

Hi @alindquist ,

Yes, there is a setting that doesn't allow for publishing a dataset to another workspace.  This wouldn't affect publishing the report to the original workspace.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors