Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jcampbell474
Helper IV
Helper IV

Cannot Publish to Service >1gb

We have a P1 Premium Capacity SKU, but cannot publish anything > 1gb.  I thought the size limit was either removed or < 3gb, but cannot find clarification. 

I opened a ticket a few weeks ago and support looked at some log files, but they didn't find anything.  

Can anyone help me understand what we're dealing with?

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
colivier
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi @jcampbell474 

Try using PBI Spy to identify columns that are imported into this dataset that are not being used. Using PBI Spy I have helped a client of mine reduce the average memory utilization on their P1 capacity from 80% to less than 50%. You can download PBY Spy from www.pbispy.com.

Feel free to contact me if you need any assistance with using it.

jcampbell474
Helper IV
Helper IV

Just adding some clarification.

It doesn't say that a size limit was reached, just says that is around 1gb and might take awhile. 

Then I get this after a couple of minutes: 
An error occurred while attempting to publish "file.pbix".  The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.   

Hi there

Could you check to make sure that your connecting is stable and working?

Another option is to enable the incremental refreshing in your PBIX, which will allow you to upload a smaller PBIX and once you first refresh it would then load all the data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thank you.  The connection is fine.  We're in the premium service and everything works (as of right now).  We really need to be able to publish files > 1gb.

Is it a limitation for P1 SKU?

No, You are correct on the 3GB limitation for P1 SKU. You did not mention about the workspace being used. See if any of these apply to your case. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-manage-your-data-storage-in-power-bi#d...

Thank you.  I kind of wish I got a message saying that I reached the limit.  I get an error when Publishing > 1gb, but can import the pbix.

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Did you ever find a solution?  Similar situation for us. P1. Dataset > 1GB doesn't want to upload. 

Thank you for asking.  No, I didn't find a solution for this specific project as it was moved to the backburner.  I have created other pbix's > 1gb and successfully loaded them.  Actually working on a 4gb file right now.  Didn't change anything.  You might want to open a ticket w/MS support.

Also, I should add that I am able to use Get Data and import a dataset >1gb.  Publish still provides the error.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors