Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

THEG72
Helper V
Helper V

Can you share a single Report inside an App with External User

I have created an APP with several reports and data sets for an organisation users running Power BI Pro license.

I also have an External Third party (different domain) with a Pro license that I want to give access to a single report and not all reports inside the APP which is published to the organisational users.

Can you please advise if this is possible or do i need to create another APP space for external users and hence duplicate the Data set for the required report into a new APP space for external users.

The external users have been setup as GUESTs inisde the Office 365 Admin portal.

Is it just a matter of sharing the reports you want them the external users to access and that will restrict them seeing or accessing the other reports within this published app?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

So is there any requirement to make them a guest account on the domain as discussed in the B2B 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxQWEQ1NnlY

or is it if you share a report you are effectively making them a guest account on your domain? The documentation is a little unclear to be honest and the way this worked has evolved as features have been released.

Is there a difinitve guide that explains the process i can review and also explain to clients as security is also a concern!

View solution in original post

If you have Power BI Pro, and if the user you are sharing the report with has a Power BI Pro license, then they do not need to be a guest user on your tenant.  The external user will need to have a Power BI Pro license to view the report - if they don't you will need to set them up as a guest on your O365 tenant and assign them one of your Power BI Pro licenses.  If  you have Power BI Premium, the external users do not need a Power BI license, but I am not sure if they would then have to be a guest user on your tenant.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
bergjm2
Helper I
Helper I

Hi THEG72,

You can just share the report and not add the external user to the App, by opening the report and selecting Share on the top menu bar:

ReportShareSelection.PNG

This will bring up a screen where you can add the external users email.

Hope this helps.

So is there any requirement to make them a guest account on the domain as discussed in the B2B 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxQWEQ1NnlY

or is it if you share a report you are effectively making them a guest account on your domain? The documentation is a little unclear to be honest and the way this worked has evolved as features have been released.

Is there a difinitve guide that explains the process i can review and also explain to clients as security is also a concern!

If you have Power BI Pro, and if the user you are sharing the report with has a Power BI Pro license, then they do not need to be a guest user on your tenant.  The external user will need to have a Power BI Pro license to view the report - if they don't you will need to set them up as a guest on your O365 tenant and assign them one of your Power BI Pro licenses.  If  you have Power BI Premium, the external users do not need a Power BI license, but I am not sure if they would then have to be a guest user on your tenant.

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @THEG72,

Can you please advise if this is possible or do i need to create another APP space for external users and hence duplicate the Data set for the required report into a new APP space for external users.

Is it just a matter of sharing the reports you want them the external users to access and that will restrict them seeing or accessing the other reports within this published app?

You could try to share that single report as a dashbord to guest user.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors