Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you remove a dataflow datasource when it is no longer used in the dataflow?

I have created several data flows using azure blob storage and then linked them to another data flow that combines them via linked entities.  I do some transformations from queries that reference the linked entities.    The problem is, now that I'm not using azure blob storage in the linked entity data flow it still appears in the settings of that data flow.  

Is there a way to remove that reference from the settings?  Or, do the linked entities still pull data from the original source; that is, the azure blob?

Thanks!

Dataflow datasource persists but not usedDataflow datasource persists but not used

12 REPLIES 12
Riored

If you go to https://app.powerbi.com/groups/ you should be able to remove Data sources from the Workspace

SGriga
Advocate I
Advocate I

I thought that I found a solution here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/dataflows/troubleshooting-dataflow-issues-connection-t... 

... alas, it did not work for me. Maybe it will work for someone else. 

It is the end of 2022 and we still have this issue...

Hi, your solution worked for me when it came to database connections (i.e. ODBC, Redshift, SQL, etc) but not for web connections, such as sharepoint links. I did find a method that worked for me, so hopefully it could help you or others:

1. In your workspace, click on the cog at the top right and select Manage connections and gateways (should be under the Resources and extensions header)
  2. In the Data (preview) page, go through all the data connections and find the one that you want to remove
  3. Select it by clicking on the radio button on the left
  4. Scroll back up to the top of the page and click Remove to remove
  5. Repeat for each additional data connection (yes, you can only do this one at a time)

Hope that helps

Thank you, it works for me

Hi JayWhy,

Your solution works just great! You have saved me a lot of grief. Thank you so much for your response!

Have a great day!

Slava

SEMattis
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi all,

I've just created an idea that you can vote on! Please find it here: Microsoft Idea (powerbi.com)

asiddiq
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I'm also having the same issue. Can anyone help or is it possible?

SEMattis
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi,

I'm also facing the same problem. Please support on this topic.

I had the same issue. You cannot remove datasources from Dataflows....thats really a missing feature / bug.

the workaround is to download the JSON, then import the JSON again (it will duplicate your dataflow, but without the obsolete data source). then you can rework your dataflows that might connect to (depend on) this dataflow, and after that remove the old dataflow.

Yes, that seems to work. Unfortunatly, a new guid will be created and I have to alter subsequent dataflows which reference this one, and have to wait again for hours for validation.

Later in production when people use this dataflow, the workaround won't help, since they reference by guid as well.

v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

When you link entities between dataflows, you can reuse entities that have already been ingested, cleansed and transformed by other dataflows owned by others without the need to maintain that data. The linked entities simply point to the entities in other dataflows, and do not copy or duplicate the data.

That means linked entities still pull data from the original source.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha.

The issue I am facing isn't that the linked entity is or isn't pulling data from the original source.  It is that I can't remove a reference to the original source I created in the dataflow after changing it to a linked entity.  The dataflow continues to require the blob credentials even though the data flow no longer uses that data source.

How can you remove the data source from the settings area after removing it from the data flow?  It still seems to remember the data source in the settings.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors