Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pbi-ai
Advocate I
Advocate I

Can you access content in someone's "My Workspace" with a Free License?

Assume that I have a single report and a single dataset in My Workspace. I want to share this with a coworker, who has a Free License, so that he can view my report.

Can I do this, without having to create a "shared" Workspace, which would require a Pro/PPU/Premium license?

Or, is it simply not possible to share content to someone from your own Workspace?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wikkleyn
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

@pbi-ai Sharing is possible from your My Workspace, altough it is not beat practise to share content from a My Workspace. 
one of the requirements to share a report is a pro license. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-share-dashboards#prerequisites
The viewer of the report will require a pro license if your workspace is not on Premium Capacity.

It is possible to add a My Workspace to Premium Capacity. But adding a My Workspace to premium isn't different from creating a workspace to which only you have access and adding that workspace to premium. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
wikkleyn
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

@pbi-ai Sharing is possible from your My Workspace, altough it is not beat practise to share content from a My Workspace. 
one of the requirements to share a report is a pro license. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-share-dashboards#prerequisites
The viewer of the report will require a pro license if your workspace is not on Premium Capacity.

It is possible to add a My Workspace to Premium Capacity. But adding a My Workspace to premium isn't different from creating a workspace to which only you have access and adding that workspace to premium. 

wikkleyn
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @pbi-ai , In short this is not possible. If it is a free user, the workspace needs to be on Premium Capacity.

@wikkleyn - So, content cannot be shared from a users "My Workspace" and the only way to share content is with a shared workspace (Pro or PPU)?

Can a Premium Capacity allow someone access to "My Workspace"?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors