Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

eddydm
Advocate II
Advocate II

Can we use a scripting language in PowerBI?

I'v a power-bi-file with different reports included. On many pages I'v used a slicer to get the user the opportunity to select the department.

Now I would like that on my first page the user selects his department he want to see in the other pages and that the power-bi-program adjust every slicer (concerning departments) on all pages.

For start, I would like that this action happens only at the moment the user opens the power-bi-file.

I agree that I (as 'devellopper') has to tell to power-bi which slicer he has to adjust and to which value.

Is this also possible when the report is published?

I know that this could be achieved by RowLevelSecurity but

* at that moment the user can't see any data of other departments (and even no data about the total of all the departments, or mean-value, ...)

* design of pbix-file has to be adapted

* licence-model for the end-user is not clear to me at this moment.

Kind regards.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Eddy

4 REPLIES 4
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @eddydm,

It is not possible to use Slicers to apply to all pages in a report currently. You can vote the idea here.Smiley Happy

Regards

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If you need filter multiple pages, you need to use Report level filters, not slicers.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler Thanks for your respons! I don't see any visualisation technique for such a report filter.

In my opinion the interface of those report filters is not for basic- users!

Any idea?

Second problem is that in my case I have different datasets (from different sources) all with an indication of department, but the fieldnames are different. So the users has the impression that there is only one field 'department' but there are different fields (one in each dataset). I'm afraid that I shall have to redesign.

Sounds like you would want to create a table of just your Departments and then relate all of your various department columns to that table, then you would be able to use your central Department table for all of your filtering.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors