Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can we use Power BI Deployment pipelines with existing workspaces

Hi Team,

Want to use deployment pipelines for deploying our power bi reports from one environment to another. Currently our dev and prod workspaces are already set up and being used by users. We tried to set up pipelines assigned our dev workspace for the test stage, but for the production stage we are not able to map to the existing workspace and it is creating a new workspace.

1) Can we use existing workspaces to deploy reports from one stage to another stage.

2) Currently we are using powerbi embedded sku's for our workspaces, can we use deployment pipelines with embedded sku's.

Thank you in advance...

-Mani

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous,

to sum it all up:

1) You can assign an existing workspace to only one of the stages of the pipeline. The other workspaces are created when you move content to that stage.

nickyvv_0-1592990347573.png

2) While you can use Embedded (or A) SKU's for Development and Test, the Production stage needs a P SKU, unless you are an ISV.

Below is an excerpt from the licensing link mentioned by @v-xuding-msft : 

For development and testing, you can use A or EM capacity alongside a Pro Power BI account for each user.

For production workspaces, you need a P capacity. If you're an ISV distributing content through embedded applications, you can also use A or EM capacities for production.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Embedded82
Frequent Visitor

I think we require the functionality and freedom to be able to assign the workspaces we want to the different stages.

I don't understand the reason why this is not possible.

Any idea if this is on the roadmap?

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Do the answers make sense? If so, please mark as the solution. More people will benefit from here. If you still have questions, please feel free to ask us.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@Anonymous,

to sum it all up:

1) You can assign an existing workspace to only one of the stages of the pipeline. The other workspaces are created when you move content to that stage.

nickyvv_0-1592990347573.png

2) While you can use Embedded (or A) SKU's for Development and Test, the Production stage needs a P SKU, unless you are an ISV.

Below is an excerpt from the licensing link mentioned by @v-xuding-msft : 

For development and testing, you can use A or EM capacity alongside a Pro Power BI account for each user.

For production workspaces, you need a P capacity. If you're an ISV distributing content through embedded applications, you can also use A or EM capacities for production.

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You could take a look at the documents to learn more.

Deploy content to an existing workspace 

Licensing 

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Currently when setting up deployment pipelines it has to create a new app workspace.

As far as I know the current licensing for deployment pipelines applies for Power BI Premium, I am not 100% certain if this also applies to Embedded SKUs

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors