Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Ani26
Helper III
Helper III

Can we open same report on Power BI services with filters applied at the time of exporting to PPT

Hi Team,

Can we open the same report on Power BI services with filters applied at the time of exporting to PPT.

Let me ellaborate on the issue.

I exported a report (abc.pptx) from the services into PPT with some filters; say month = Dec and Year = 2019 (in dropdown).
Then I made changes to the filter in the report on the service; say month = Jan and Year = 2020 (in dropdown) and close the services and the browser.

So far so good.

Now when I open the previously exported PPT (abc.pptx) and CTRL+click on one of the report page in PPT, then it opens the report on the Service, but the filters for month and year aren't the same as present at the time of exporting. Now the filters shows month = Jan and Year = 2020.

Is there any way to achieve the same report on the services with same filters present at the time of exporting the report in PPT by doing CTRL+click on the PPT page

Any help would be highly appreciable.

Thanks,

Ani

6 REPLIES 6
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi, I don't think that is possible. The export option is for creating a snapshot of the actual view you have in order to make a presentation. You can't except it to keep or bring filters back the way they were with the ppt.

I'm sorry but you shouldn't use it that way. 

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Hi @ibarrau 
Thank you for your answer.
But then the URL that we get in the PPT is just to go back to the report on the service. Is there any option where we can tweek the URL along with the filters present at the time of export (something like this - "?filter=Table/Field eq 'Value'"), so that when we click back on the PPT page we will be redirected to that view with all the necessary filters.
I know this may not be possible directly but is there any workaround for the same.

Thanks,

Ani

hi @Ani26 

To my knowledge, it could not achieve in power bi for now.

First, when you export one report to ppt, Each page in the Power BI report is exported as a single high-resolution image in PowerPoint.

Second, that URL is only could be used to link to the report. and the filter in power bi report, when you log out of Power BI and come back to a report, the same items will be selected as when you left.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin

Hi @v-lili6-msft ,

I understand that when I sign out of the service and again come back, I would be returning to the report with the last filters I selected. 
The case is, the user select a set of filters say year = 2019 and month = Nov on the service and exports the report in PPT. Now he changes the filters to year = 2020 and month = Jan on the service and say he logs out. 
But now if he go the exported PPT and CTRL+click on any slide, he lands up to a report on the service with the new filters and not the filters applied at the time of exporting.

Is there a way I can capture the selected report filters at the time of exporting the report in PPT?

Thanks,

Ani

hi  @Ani26 

To my knowledge, it could not be achieved in power bi for now.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin

Alright @v-lili6-msft . Thank you so much for your assistance. Also thanks to @ibarrau.

Regards,

Ani

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors