Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can we filter Power BI report based on userid?

Hi there,

I have a specific need wherein I need to filter Power BI reports as per the UserID after the User has been logged in.  There could be over 1000 such users so creating Power BI pro account is not feasible.  I am thinking of subcribing Power BI poremium service which doesnt have any limit on the Power BI report users.  

The challenge is whether I would be able to use the User credentails on a portal and use that information to filter the data on the report?  The underlying data can be filtered using UserID.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please check following link who has similar requirement:

RLS with UserName()

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
MauriceMecowe
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @Anonymous ,

Row Level Security will fit your needs. Based on the groups users are in, you will be able to filter your dataset. All you have to do after the setup of RLS is add the roles and the corresponding groups to your model. The login of the user be used to validate the user. Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Maurice

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maurice,

Can the RLS work without Power BI Pro account?  I mean the users I am mentioning will not have any Power BI account as they will login using different logins in the portal and based on that User ID, I need to filter the Power BI report.  

Thanks.

Hi @Anonymous 

RLS is a pro feature, so you need a pro license for the account used for logging in.

Cheers,

Maurice

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors