Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can we do Modeling, Calculated Fields and Measures in Power BI Embedded?

In our organization (ISV), we are using Power BI embedded. 

The overall functionality is working fine.  We use the "Get Data - Power BI Datasets" to create the reports.  In the Datasets option, the options for creating Caluclated fields and Measures are disabled.

My question is: can't we use the Caluclated fields and Measures in the Power BI embedded? 

Thoughts?

@powerbiembedded @Test_EmbeddedBI 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous With Live Connection you cannot create calculated columns (I assume that's what you mean by "calculated fields"), hence why the option is greyed out in PBI Desktop. You are correct that measures can't be used as slicers/filters. To answer your other questions, you pretty much cannot do ETL or modeling from a live connection, as the expectation is that you have done all of that work in the source dataset, just like you would with a live connection to SSAS.

I hope this helps. If you still feel stuck, I'd be happy to review your data architecture (from your software down to PBI) and help you figure out a better setup. Though, to be clear, that would have to be an offline paid consultation as we'd dive into the specifics of your setup and that's beyond what I can do for free on a public forum, not to speak of confidentiality issues on your end.

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous This is not a factor of using Power BI embedded, this is a limitation of using a Live Connection:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets#limitations-and-considerations

You can only create report-level measures with a live connection to the service, you can't add to the dataset:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yezgr3QN9hw

BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thenk you so much @otravers .  This is very helpful.

I have read through the artcile.  Some more questions...

1. Can we do only Measures and no Calculated fields?  Calculated fields are also very helpful to include in Slicers and Pivot Rows/Columns (not as values).
  2. Can we do data modeling like converting Varchar to Number Or String to date type?
  3. Can we do advanced modellling like adding Reference table etc..

Please let me know your thoughts.  Thank you again!

@Anonymous With Live Connection you cannot create calculated columns (I assume that's what you mean by "calculated fields"), hence why the option is greyed out in PBI Desktop. You are correct that measures can't be used as slicers/filters. To answer your other questions, you pretty much cannot do ETL or modeling from a live connection, as the expectation is that you have done all of that work in the source dataset, just like you would with a live connection to SSAS.

I hope this helps. If you still feel stuck, I'd be happy to review your data architecture (from your software down to PBI) and help you figure out a better setup. Though, to be clear, that would have to be an offline paid consultation as we'd dive into the specifics of your setup and that's beyond what I can do for free on a public forum, not to speak of confidentiality issues on your end.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @otravers.  This is very helpful. 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors