Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lasthero
Frequent Visitor

Can we create measures in Power BI Service? If not is there anyway to refresh a .pbix report

Hi,

I am wondering is there anyway to create measures in Power BI Service, I know its possible in Power BI desktop, but is there a way to do it in Power BI service?

If not, then my second question becomes is there anyway to refresh a data set from a .pbix in Power BI service without a Personal Gateway.  

I ask this because as my company has one drive - business.  So when I link to a dataset thats an excel spreadsheet on one drive, everything works properly and things refresh when I update the excel spreadsheet, but I want a way to create measures and from what I can see I can only do this on Power BI desktop.  

The issue with Power BI Desktop is if i use this as my data set in Power BI Service, when i try updating the dataset it says it can't as I need a personal gateway and need Power BI Pro...

Thanks for any help and if my question is confusing i'll try to clarify..

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Yes. You need to set up a gateway to refresh the powerbi desktop file that is uploaded to pbi service. Also, You can use REST APIs/streaming datasets option to programmaticaly push your data to pbi service but it would be more hassle than setting up the gateway. You do not need PowerBI Pro licence to set up a gateway. 

You can not create a measure in PBI Service. 

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

View solution in original post

Hi @lasthero,

Yes, if you need to schedule refreshed local file, then you need a personal gateway. The personal gateway is only available with Power BI Pro. It installs and runs as a service on your computer.

Based on my research, there is no other way to refresh local file besides using a gateway. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Ketchumall

Hi,

Yes, there is a way to create a measure in Power BI Service.

You need to be in edit mode, and then you click "Open data model" on the top left toolbar. This takes you to your data model, and you'll see the "New Measure" option in the top left. You can create your new measure from here.

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Yes. You need to set up a gateway to refresh the powerbi desktop file that is uploaded to pbi service. Also, You can use REST APIs/streaming datasets option to programmaticaly push your data to pbi service but it would be more hassle than setting up the gateway. You do not need PowerBI Pro licence to set up a gateway. 

You can not create a measure in PBI Service. 

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Hello,

I have a similar problem, I am connecting to the PowerBI service via OneDrive and built the report directly in PBI service. Now, I cannot download it to PBI desktop to create measures or enhance the report. Please recommend any solutions to solve this.

donwload.PNG

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I have a similar concern. I am using OneDrive to connect to PowerBI service and used the data from excel to build the report. However, since I never created the base report in PBI desktop, I am unable to download the report. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Bhavesh for explanations!

would this be the proper link for gateway?

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-personal-gateway/

Edit:

What is the other way besides using a gateway of doing this? Seems like my organization wants me to fill out a request form which is a bit annoying...

Hi @lasthero,

Yes, if you need to schedule refreshed local file, then you need a personal gateway. The personal gateway is only available with Power BI Pro. It installs and runs as a service on your computer.

Based on my research, there is no other way to refresh local file besides using a gateway. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors