Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Healthec
Frequent Visitor

Can use same report load data from different datasource using gateway

Dear Support Team,

I am using one Power bi service where i have one report which is inside e.g: Workspace1.

To refresh it i used data gateway and configured with this report dataset.

Now the question here is i have two or more clients and all using separate database.

Can i use the same report or .pbix file for each client?

So then if specific client access this report then data should load related to that client datasource which is created in manage gateway.

e.g: A. Client 1 using datasource 1

B. Client 2 using datasource 2 and vice versa.

In that case should i create separate workspace for each client and put the same report in each workspace?

If that is the case then how could i assigned the specific datasource to this report client wise?

One update here: I did the same as i mentioned above like i have two workspace and i have put the same report in each workspace.

Now for the first workspace report i already set the gateway called sqlconnect.

But for the second workspace report when i go to dataset then i can see in the gateway only the first datasource listed, Second created datasource is not listed there.

I have attached one screen shot for more understanding.

Kindly suggest.GatewayIssue.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi All,

I have fixed this issue and below are the steps i followed.

I created one report in Power bi Desktop and used some datasource to load the report.

Once i published this report in power bi service, I go to this report dataset and click on schedule refresh icon.

There you can see the Gateway connection, Expand it.

Before doing this step you should have installed the data gateway redistributable file in the server where you can able to connect the database and assigned some member to access the data gateway.

After expanding Gateway connection, Can see the data gateway name is present there. Click on manage getway and add new datasource and configure your database with DB server credentials. Once done then you can select the specific datasource to this report.

Now for the second time for the same report open in Power bi Desktop then change the datasource and use the another datasource to load the report. Once done then publish it to the Power bi service under specific worksapce.Now do the same activity as shown above. Create new datasource in gateway connection and assign that datasource to this report.

Using above steps we can able to reuse the same report with different datasource.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Healthec ,

If you've fixed the issue on your own please kindly share your solution. If the above posts help, please kindly mark it as a solution to help others find it more quickly. Thanks!

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

Hi All,

I have fixed this issue and below are the steps i followed.

I created one report in Power bi Desktop and used some datasource to load the report.

Once i published this report in power bi service, I go to this report dataset and click on schedule refresh icon.

There you can see the Gateway connection, Expand it.

Before doing this step you should have installed the data gateway redistributable file in the server where you can able to connect the database and assigned some member to access the data gateway.

After expanding Gateway connection, Can see the data gateway name is present there. Click on manage getway and add new datasource and configure your database with DB server credentials. Once done then you can select the specific datasource to this report.

Now for the second time for the same report open in Power bi Desktop then change the datasource and use the another datasource to load the report. Once done then publish it to the Power bi service under specific worksapce.Now do the same activity as shown above. Create new datasource in gateway connection and assign that datasource to this report.

Using above steps we can able to reuse the same report with different datasource.

Thank you.

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Healthec ,

I'm afraid not. When configuring a gateway for a report, as the pictured mentioned, data sources should include in the dataset. Although we can add many data sources under one gateway, the report which maps to the data source must include in the dataset, it has no practical meaning to add the same data source with different name under one gateway.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Unfortunately you cannot switch to different data sources. You would need to configure the different data sources to different datasets.

If all the data is in one database you could use Row Level Security to get this working.

here are more details on Row Level Security: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-rls

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors