Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pmdci
Advocate V
Advocate V

Can the Personal Gateway access Analysis services?

Hello,

I understand that we have two types of gateways. One is the personal gateway which can access different on-premise and online data sources, and the other is a gateway dedicated to analysis services.

However upon reading the documentation on the Personal Gateway, I came across the following:

With a Gateway, REFRESH NOW and SCHEDULE REFRESH are supported for datasets uploaded from:

• Microsoft Excel 2013 (or later) workbooks where Power Query or Power Pivot is used to connect to and query data from a supported on-premises data source. All on-premises data sources shown in Get External Data in Power Query or Power Pivot support refresh except Microsoft Exchange and Active Directory.

• Microsoft Power BI Desktop files where Get Data is used to connect to and query data from a supported on-premises data source. All on-premises data sources shown in Get Data support refresh except Microsoft Exchange and Active Directory.

From reading the above, I can't help but wonder if the Personal Gateway would work with an analysis services.

Could someone please advise?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

P.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PowerBIGuy
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@pmdci - ok Let me try again.

So is it fair to say that with the Personal Gateway, all data is actually brought over to Power BI storage, rather than being queried directly at the source? 

SSAS - Yes if you use Personal gateway for SSAS the data is actually brought over to Power BI storage. If you use the AS connector you have a direct query option instead.

SQL Server - When connecting to a SQL server using the Personal gateway you can now create a direct connection. 

I have a data warehouse and an analytical model on top of it, and I am trying to find out what would be the way to query this data correctly -- without bringing data into Power BI.

The Best way would be to create a direct connection which is posible within Power BI.

At this point I would like to know how could I query the data directly from either the data warehouse (SQL Server) or the analytical model (SSAS) -- without copying the data over into Power BI.

SQL Server you can create a direct connection using the Personal Gateway. SSAS you can create a direct connection using the AS connector. 

Business Intelligence Architect / Consultant

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PowerBIGuy
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Yes this is correct personal gateway is supposed to be able to  refresh data from a SSAS model when a direct connection is not used and the data is imported into the PBI desktop Model. I currently cannot test this in my current environment but i kno this used to be the documented case. 

Umm... I see.

So is it fair to say that with the Personal Gateway, all data is actually brought over to Power BI storage, rather than being queried directly at the source?

I have a data warehouse and an analytical model on top of it, and I am trying to find out what would be the way to query this data correctly -- without bringing data into Power BI.

At this point I would like to know how could I query the data directly from either the data warehouse (SQL Server) or the analytical model (SSAS) -- without copying the data over into Power BI.

Regards,

P.

PowerBIGuy
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Currently Power BI supports direct connections via SQL server and SSAS on prem servers. SSAS via the AS connector and SQL server via the Personal gateway. A direct connection means that PBI will query the data source and only store the results needed to support the actual visual. 

I'm confused as this seems to contradict your original answer, where you said that the personal gateway could connect to SSAS.

Regards,

P.

PowerBIGuy
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@pmdci - ok Let me try again.

SSAS - Yes if you use Personal gateway for SSAS the data is actually brought over to Power BI storage. If you use the AS connector you have a direct query option instead.

SQL Server - When connecting to a SQL server using the Personal gateway you can now create a direct connection. 

The Best way would be to create a direct connection which is posible within Power BI.

SQL Server you can create a direct connection using the Personal Gateway. SSAS you can create a direct connection using the AS connector. 

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay in coming back to you on this one. I did not receive an email notifying me of your response (even though I am pretty sure I checked the option for it).

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors