Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bo_afk
Post Patron
Post Patron

Can't view reports even when permission granted

I've published some reports onto Power BI server and I've shared these with some colleagues around the business, who also have a Power BI Pro account.

However, when some of my colleagues try to access the reports, they get an error message telling them that they require permission to access the report and dataset. I've double-checked on my end and I can see that they have definitely been granted access to everything. What is odd is that some are able to view but some aren't.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or can perhaps advise on something I haven't checked yet?

Thanks

afk

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bo_afk
Post Patron
Post Patron

Hi @v-diye-msft , @ibarrau 

I've finally fixed the issue. Seemed like the user had "two" email addresses. A normal one with firstname.lastname@company.com, and the other a shortened version FirstinitialLastname@company.com.

When searching their name via Power BI service on the permission/access page, their shortened email had appeared in the list and I'd originally granted access to that email. However it looks like it's their other email that I was supposed to give access to as I had then manually typed in their longer email and granted access to that and it worked.

Although I'm not too sure why this is the case as I checked the user's Power BI account and it was registered under their shortened email address.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
bo_afk
Post Patron
Post Patron

Hi @v-diye-msft , @ibarrau 

I've finally fixed the issue. Seemed like the user had "two" email addresses. A normal one with firstname.lastname@company.com, and the other a shortened version FirstinitialLastname@company.com.

When searching their name via Power BI service on the permission/access page, their shortened email had appeared in the list and I'd originally granted access to that email. However it looks like it's their other email that I was supposed to give access to as I had then manually typed in their longer email and granted access to that and it worked.

Although I'm not too sure why this is the case as I checked the user's Power BI account and it was registered under their shortened email address.

v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bo_afk 

1. Make sure there no RLS rules implemented in the report. and if RLS involved, please confirm they're granted the access both in dax formula and the security in the dataset. details refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls 

2. Please describe which way you share the report. 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. First of all, can you tell us about the report? what data sources are involved? how did you share with users? (adding in workspace with role, share report, share dashboard).

Be sure they all have pro licence. Ask them to check it.

Last, are all of them in the same organization?

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors