Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RandyV
Frequent Visitor

Can't view my report externally

Hi,

I have created a dataset and a report in Power BI desktop. I have connected this to two local MSQL databases. Most tables are connected as directquery.

I have finished my report and published it to a workspace through the power bi service. However, when I try to view this report on my phone or outside the office, it shows (translated; can't open this visual element for each of the visuals in the report. It shows a link to show details, but clicking on it won't work.

I would assume that I could view my report anywhere since I've published it to the power bi service, but apparently not. Any idea what I did wrong?

Thanks for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
u02cm62
Helper V
Helper V

You have your data locally.  PBI service doesn't have access to your laptop unless you are running from Desktop.  You must use a personal gateway or enterprise Power BI Gateway to reach your data or use imported - then you don't need a gateway and you can refresh on a schedule in the service.  Either way would do it.

So you could change from direct query to imported, then just use the service to refresh.  Then it can live from any source.

It's all about where the data is housed.  Has to be externally available.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
u02cm62
Helper V
Helper V

You have your data locally.  PBI service doesn't have access to your laptop unless you are running from Desktop.  You must use a personal gateway or enterprise Power BI Gateway to reach your data or use imported - then you don't need a gateway and you can refresh on a schedule in the service.  Either way would do it.

So you could change from direct query to imported, then just use the service to refresh.  Then it can live from any source.

It's all about where the data is housed.  Has to be externally available.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors