Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rcarroll
Frequent Visitor

Can't sign-in credentials for dataset to resolve the "Scheduled Refresh is Disabled" problem.

I have created a simple visual in Power BI Desktop to test the data syncing feature. It uses a single column, single value table in an Excel file as data and outputs that value to a card visual. When I change the value in the Excel file and refresh in Power BI Desktop, the value updates correctly. However, when I publish it to Power BI Service, the refresh does not work. Here is the dataset error message:

"Scheduled refresh is disabled because at least one data source is missing credentials. To start the refresh again, go to this dataset's settings page and enter credentials for all data sources. Then reactivate scheduled refresh."

I have followed the instructions and tried to "enter credentials" for this single data source. I go to the below window and click "Sign-in" and nothing happens. The animating spinner icon just keeps spinning indefinitely (See below). What am I doing wrong here? Note: I am on my organization's network, and have tried using an excel file from my OneDrive for Business, as well as from a directory in our organization's SharePoint Online folders.

rcarroll_0-1670600222752.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It doesn't matter that it's your OneDrive local folder, the Power BI service can't get to it without the data gateway (but again I wouldn't bother with the gateway, get the data from a SharePoint folder instead of C:).

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

The path in your screenshot is a local drive (C:), not a cloud OneDrive or SharePoint folder. If you stick to the local resource then you'll need to install a data gateway on your PC. The better alternative is to change your data source to the cloud path for your file.

BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Yes, but the path shows that it’s connecting to my OneDrive folder. Does that not matter? Please continue to bear with me if my understanding is flawed. I really appreciate your time. 

I've tried putting it in one of our shared SharePoint folders, but using my local shortcut to that folder (hence the pathway would still show my C: drive). Is it not working because it's pathing through my C drive, and not using a cloud URL to my OneDrive or Sharepoint source?

It doesn't matter that it's your OneDrive local folder, the Power BI service can't get to it without the data gateway (but again I wouldn't bother with the gateway, get the data from a SharePoint folder instead of C:).

Okay, I think I finally understand. I went with the web connector, and linked to the same file via a url to the excel file on Sharepoint. It worked, thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors