Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SimonWeber
Frequent Visitor

Can't share dashboards anymore!

Hello everybody

I use Power Bi for about 2 months now. I'm really excited about it. A few weeks ago I shared a report. Today I wanted to do this with other users. Unfortunately, I get a note, that I and the user who wants to see the report, needs a pro account!

So, my question is:

1. Do I something wrong?
  2. Did Microsoft change the conditions?

I have no problem that I and this user who really have to create reports have a Pro version. But it cannot be that all users who want to see my report needs a pro account.

Best wishes

Simon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@SimonWeber

Since 6/1/2017, you need a Power BI Pro license to share your dashboard, and those you share it with do, too.

Please refer to following document.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-how-should-i-share-my-dashboard/#s...

We can also use the new introduced Power BI Premium. Power BI Premium introduces expanded licensing flexibility to help organizations equip users with the appropriate level of access to the Power BI service based on their unique needs. For example, many organizations contain users who aren’t actively creating BI content, but require the ability to consume content distributed to them. Power BI Premium enables Power BI Pro users to publish reports broadly across the enterprise and beyond, without requiring recipients to be licensed per user.

Now we can also activate the Extended Pro Trial according to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-extended-pro-trial/.

BTW, we can only share dashboards. For reports, we can only publish to web or embed in SharePoint Online, but cannot use the same "share" function like dashboard.

Best Regards,
Herbert

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@SimonWeber

Since 6/1/2017, you need a Power BI Pro license to share your dashboard, and those you share it with do, too.

Please refer to following document.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-how-should-i-share-my-dashboard/#s...

We can also use the new introduced Power BI Premium. Power BI Premium introduces expanded licensing flexibility to help organizations equip users with the appropriate level of access to the Power BI service based on their unique needs. For example, many organizations contain users who aren’t actively creating BI content, but require the ability to consume content distributed to them. Power BI Premium enables Power BI Pro users to publish reports broadly across the enterprise and beyond, without requiring recipients to be licensed per user.

Now we can also activate the Extended Pro Trial according to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-extended-pro-trial/.

BTW, we can only share dashboards. For reports, we can only publish to web or embed in SharePoint Online, but cannot use the same "share" function like dashboard.

Best Regards,
Herbert

SimonWeber
Frequent Visitor

Hallo Tim

Thanks a lot for your fast reply and your answer.

If I only could share Reports, it would be fine for me. But I can’t find a share Button in my report. Are you sure that it is possible to share a Report? I thought it is (it was) only possible to share a dashboard.

Kind Regards,

Simon

Radist

Hello Simon,

I think the reason may be that MS has disabled dashboard sharing since June 1st in a "free" Power BI. Now you can only share reports. I am not sure what is your licensing, but MS offers Power BI Pro trial for 1 year, which has all features enabled.

That is tempting offer, but the question is what will happen after the 1 year PRO trial?

(1) will be dashboards/reports created in trial PBI Pro accessible by creators and users or

(2) both creators and users would need to have to purchase a Pro license in order to veiw solutins created in trial PBI Pro?

Kind Regards,

Tim

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors