Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't see parameters in Power BI Services

Dear community,

I can't visualize in Power BI Service the parameters that I created in Power BI Desktop and that I use to filter some queries with Direct Query to SAP HANA Database.

When I go to Power BI Service > Datasets > Settings > Parameters, it tells me that I haven't defined any parameter for this dataset, but I did. Please find the error message below :Problem.png

Context

• Connexion : SAP HANA Database
  • Mode : Direct Query
  • Parameter created :
    • Name : P_CLIENT
    • Type : Text
    • Suggested values : List
    • Enable load : checked

P_CLIENT.png

• Query with this parameter :

Query.png

Problem

When I publish the report, I don't see the parameters listed as shown in the firt screenshot.

But I don't understand why, because in the Microsoft Power BI documentation (link), we can clearly see that it works perfectly for them and that the parameters appear :

Power BI Doc.png

Does someone have succeeded in making the parameters appear in Power BI Services like they did in the documentation ?

Or does anyone know what I did wrong and could help me ?

Thank you,

Julien

7 REPLIES 7
ccabrita
Regular Visitor

Hello,

We also tried to make it in Direct Query with Multidimensionnal Mode.

In multidimensionnal mode we have a deeper integration with SAP HANA variables & Input parameters. We are even able to use "HANA Value Help views" in variables in order to display ID + Description in possible values for selection. In multidimensionnal mode we don't have to create Power Bi parameters and map them in the query as we have to do in relationnal mode.

But sill missing the "Edit Variables" button when we publish to the "Power BI Service" & connect with a gateway to the HANA backend system.

This would be a big improvement to make it available in the service in order to drive all performance in the backend through the Input Parameters / Variables with PBI Desktop & PBI Service.

Regards,

Christian

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @ccabrita ,

We are having the same problem, did you found a solution for the problem ?

Kind Regards

ccabrita
Regular Visitor

Hello,

Has somebody succeeded to make it work or is this a limitation ?

Just to align on the configuration : we hare facing this when we use Direct Query over HANA calculation views having input parameters. We built parameters that we used in the query editor. It works in Desktop but once we publish in the Service we lose the possibility to change the parameters and thus are not able to transfer them to the input parameters of the calculation view.

Thanks for your  help,

Christian

Anonymous
Not applicable

No luck ... tried for sometime then surrendered... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also facing the same issue without a luck. Tried multiple ways - created new reports, existign reports but always same issue.

v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous 

Please make sure you've used the parameters for this datasets in desktop.Then they could be seen in service.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "used the parameters for this datasets in desktop"? Pretty sure everyone here has done the basic stuff adn more...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors