Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

danielORCNZ
Frequent Visitor

Can't schedule refresh because Web data sources don't support refresh EVEN IF EXCLUDED FROM REFRESH

I have a multisource report with several data sources coming through the usual gateway (these would need to be refreshed daily) and a couple Web sources which were used as a one-off static data (I excluded them from report refresh in Query Editor).

And yet, when I try to schedule automatic refresh in PBI service, I get an error that refresh cannot be scheduled because the two EXCLUDED FROM REFRESH web sources don't support refresh. Obviously I find this very contradictory and frustrating.

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

If you have excluded it from a dataset refresh but it is still a data source in your PBIX it will still expect to be connected via the Gateway.

What I would do, is to into the Power Query Editor, click on Data Sources, and if you see a Web Data Source in there that would be the cause of the issue.

You can also update the Gateway, under Manage Gateways in the Power BI Service and allow the Gateway to connect to both on-premise and cloud data sources?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

My Gateway already has "Allow Cloud Data" and "Allow Custom Connectors" ticked.

Obviously the data sources in my PBIX include a web source (it's XML output from a web server), but since they were "excluded from refresh" then I would expect them not to be the cause for the refresh to not even be setup-able. It's non-sensical to me.

Any other ideas how to handle this? As it stands the only way for me to refresh data is to "republish PBIX". I can even run refresh manually on PBI service as I get "Unable to refresh the modelbecause it references an unsupported data source."

So does this also mean there is no way to do a refresh of web source data in PBI? What is the point in having such source available during report design then, if it can never be refreshed? What am I missing?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors