Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Talvien
Helper I
Helper I

Can't refresh dataset from Excel File in SharePoint Online

I have a workspace and an Excel File in the related SharePoint Online of the workspace. When I want to refresh the dataset, where that SharePoint path is inserted, it keeps telling me, my credentials were wrong.

In the edit credentials window I can't select anything else than "WindowsWithoutImpersonation".

Any solution how I can refresh that beast?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Talvien,

How do you connect to the Excel file from Power BI? Do you firstly connect to it from Power BI Desktop and then publish your dataset to Power BI Service? If that is the case, please use Organizational account to connect to Excel file in Power BI Desktop as shown in the following screenshot.
2.PNG

Then in Power BI Service, choose “OAuth2” method when entering credential. I test the whole process and I can successfully refresh the dataset from Excel file in SharePoint Online.
1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Talvien,

How do you connect to the Excel file from Power BI? Do you firstly connect to it from Power BI Desktop and then publish your dataset to Power BI Service? If that is the case, please use Organizational account to connect to Excel file in Power BI Desktop as shown in the following screenshot.
2.PNG

Then in Power BI Service, choose “OAuth2” method when entering credential. I test the whole process and I can successfully refresh the dataset from Excel file in SharePoint Online.
1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you Lydia!

The problem was that I used the Excel Connector instead of the Web Connector.

This worked for the initial import, but due to no authentication it couldn't be refreshed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors