Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andrewjones11
Regular Visitor

Can't refresh data on BI Service

Hi,

I use and excel workbook to provide my dataset and can refresh it without issue in Power BI desktop. Once published, I am unable to refresh the data and get the following error: 

• Data source errorScheduled refresh is disabled because at least one data source is missing credentials. To start the refresh again, go to this dataset's settings page and enter credentials for all data sources. Then reactivate scheduled refresh.

The data source credentials is greyed out so I cannot do anything. What is the fix for this? Do I need to install a personal gateway in order to be able to refresh my dataset?

I plan on providing colleagues with a weekly report so need to refresh the data through my connected excel workbook on a regular basis to show up to date information.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomasD
Frequent Visitor

Hi, the reason for this is simple - you can not access your xls from PBI service without any kind of gateway installed.

I guess I found the exact topic with answer to your question here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Help-Scheduled-refresh-not-working/td-p/553454

I suggest using a Stanard Mode Gateway.Do not forget to install the gateway with the same account as your PBI service (so it links together).

Once the gateway is installed, add your file(s) or a folder as a source to your gateway (via manage gateways - add data source) or you could simply add your xls file as a new source (get data - ....).

Also you could incorporate a dataflow for an automatic refresh (up to 8x a day in a Pro licence).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @andrewjones11 

You don't necessarily need a Gateway to access your Excel workbook. If you store it on any "web based" data store and access it from there you don't need a gateway installed. Often the simplest option is to put the Excel file on to OneDrive for Business, see Use OneDrive for Business links in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Hope this helps

Stuart 

Hi @Burningsuit,

I stored in Onedrive but still can't refresh the dataset on powerBI service. 

I need to refresh the report that I've published frequently without need to republish everytime I have updated the excel. Thank you

TomasD
Frequent Visitor

Hi, the reason for this is simple - you can not access your xls from PBI service without any kind of gateway installed.

I guess I found the exact topic with answer to your question here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Help-Scheduled-refresh-not-working/td-p/553454

I suggest using a Stanard Mode Gateway.Do not forget to install the gateway with the same account as your PBI service (so it links together).

Once the gateway is installed, add your file(s) or a folder as a source to your gateway (via manage gateways - add data source) or you could simply add your xls file as a new source (get data - ....).

Also you could incorporate a dataflow for an automatic refresh (up to 8x a day in a Pro licence).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors