Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SunnyUbhie
Frequent Visitor

Can't re-establish connection to re-published shared dataset

Hi,

Someone in the team deleted a shared dataset, along with all its reports from the workspace and republished the dataset again.

Unfortunately, when we try to open pbix files that link to this shared dataset in the desktop to publish them we get the below error.

SunnyUbhie_0-1606140785718.png

If I click Retry the error pops up again and if I click Edit the error goes away but nothing happens.

We are all admins of this dataset and I've put the team as admins/owners in the Security (as there's RLS on this report) and Manage Permissions of the dataset.

All I need to do is open these files to publish them but can't figure out how to do it.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks

Sunny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SunnyUbhie ,

Please try the following steps and you will create a link to the new dataset you re-publish :

Open Blank Report in power BI Desktop.

Sign-in Power BI Desktop with credentials of power BI Service where dataset is published.

Then go to file > Open > open your report (from location where you saved report).

Capture.PNG

Then you will see the same error message in your original post, click edit and you will be able to choose the new dataset for your file:

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SunnyUbhie ,

Please try the following steps and you will create a link to the new dataset you re-publish :

Open Blank Report in power BI Desktop.

Sign-in Power BI Desktop with credentials of power BI Service where dataset is published.

Then go to file > Open > open your report (from location where you saved report).

Capture.PNG

Then you will see the same error message in your original post, click edit and you will be able to choose the new dataset for your file:

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Hi, you are my hero. I can't believe this worked.
It’s strange that it doesn’t work when opening the pbix file directly but it does when opening from within a blank Power BI Desktop.

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SunnyUbhie ,

Would you please try to change dataset in Data Source setting.

Capture3.PNGCapture4.PNG

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

As I stated in my original message, I'm unable to open the report files to make that change.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors