Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arelf27
Helper II
Helper II

Can't "Schedule Refresh" when successfully connecting to VSTS using OData feed in Power BI Desktop

I've successfully built Power BI Desktop solution connecting to VSTS (Visual Studio Team Services) in Power BI Desktop using the oData connector (we have Analytics Service feature enabled in VSTS.) So all is working in Power BI Desktop. However, now that I've published the report to Power BI Services, I can't seem to figure out how to set-up a new Data Source so I can schedule data refreshes?  

I'm selecting OData for Data Source Type and typing in the same URL (to VSTS) as I've selected in Power BI Desktop. However it doesn't accept my credentials (again this is wokring in Power BI Desktop) so can't figure out how this is supposed to work in Power BI Services...  The one thing that I think might be different is in Power BI Desktop I'm selected Organizational account then inputting my credentials (that's the only way authentication worked for me...) However in PowerBI Services there's only Basic, Windows and Anonymous options for Authentication Method.. 

To set-up things in Power BI Desktop I followed directions in this article (however it doesn't mention how to publish this solution to Power BI Services or how to schedule data refresh)

Please see the article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vsts/report/powerbi/access-analytics-power-bi

Is this even possible or are there any limitations to doing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @arelf27,

Based on research, VSTS is online datasource which not need gateway.
You can refer to below link to config credential:

Publish a Power BI Desktop file to PowerBI.com

• Expand the navigation pane in Power BI and select the work space that you selected when you published the report.

• Click Datasets in the upper right corner.

• Click the ellipsis next to the dataset that represents the report you just loaded (this is typically the file name.

Select the dataset

• Click Schedule Refresh.

• Click the Edit credentials link next to ODATA under Data source credentials as shown here:

Update odata credentials

• Select the appropriate authentication option (as discussed in Client Authentication Options).

• Use oAuth2 for Azure Active Directory (AAD) credentials.

vt

+

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @arelf27,

Based on research, VSTS is online datasource which not need gateway.
You can refer to below link to config credential:

Publish a Power BI Desktop file to PowerBI.com

• Expand the navigation pane in Power BI and select the work space that you selected when you published the report.

• Click Datasets in the upper right corner.

• Click the ellipsis next to the dataset that represents the report you just loaded (this is typically the file name.

Select the dataset

• Click Schedule Refresh.

• Click the Edit credentials link next to ODATA under Data source credentials as shown here:

Update odata credentials

• Select the appropriate authentication option (as discussed in Client Authentication Options).

• Use oAuth2 for Azure Active Directory (AAD) credentials.

vt

+

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors