Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't export to Power BI Desktop format

Hi since today, i noticed that i cannot download some of my datasets any more.

Reports that are using those datasets cannot be downloaded as well.

I switched using enhanced dataset metadata preview feature recently, could this be connected?

Anyone facing similar issue?

Jebeno PBI sranje.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to MS support there is a bug regarding endpoints so R/W Endpoint is blocking the export to PBIX

They recomend to switch endpoints to Read Only and wait until 7th of April, when they prommised to deliver a fix 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
oberthju
Advocate I
Advocate I

I have the same issue ... 😥

Now I need to republish an old version of my pbix file 😞

Hello. Just for info.

Microsoft support told me this morning that they will implement a patch on the service before end of this month (July 2020) so that if you republish a previously saved pbix file it will switch back the XMLA status to read only so that you can start downloading the pbix again from the service. 

Of course this will just be a workaround as you will not be able yet to have XMLA read write and pbix download option simultaneously..

Anyway this can help waiting ..

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I have not experienced this. 

You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Greg_Deckler i already created support ticket,

and post topic on Issue forum as well.

Thanks for quick answer

Anonymous
Not applicable

According to MS support there is a bug regarding endpoints so R/W Endpoint is blocking the export to PBIX

They recomend to switch endpoints to Read Only and wait until 7th of April, when they prommised to deliver a fix 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Even if they promised to fix this on on 7th of April this is still not fixed, I am trying to get MS support to tell me how to fix this

Hi. I am facing the same issue. After successfully deploying a data model to the cloud service via XMLA endpoint, it cannot be downloaded as pbix again.

Any luck with the MS support yet @Anonymous?

Hi. For us the reason why the dataset could not be exported as .pbix again was the limitation of the XMLA endpoint preview as decribed here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-connect-tools#power-bi-desktop-autho...

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is another limit which is not stated by MS. If you make changes to dataset using XMLA endpoints, you will loose ability to download reports connected to that dataset using live connection.

So it is not afectiong datasets only, but reports as well

Thanks for sharing @Anonymous. And let's hope these restrictions will all be gone once the XMLA endpoint feature is out of preview. 🤞

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors