Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Nariim
Frequent Visitor

Can't enter security group into app permissions

I have an app that we are trying to restrict by security group. One group, in particular, is problematic. It isn't mail-enabled, so it doesn't have a full email address. also, the name of the security group happens to be contained within the display name of many users. Since the typeahead only loads a few options, and the security group I want isn't in those options, I can't add it to the app. If I just type the name and hit enter, it chooses the first option from the typeahead, which is an individual user, not the security group. If I try to use the group's Guid, I get an error that the email address is invalid or a duplicate.

6 REPLIES 6
lndnbrg
Resolver III
Resolver III

You almost pointed it out: The problem is here that it must be an email-enabled security group in order to use it in apps.

It is annoying, but there is currently no other way. 😞

I'm able to use other security groups that aren't mail-enabled with no issues- I just pick them out of the typeahead.

I am sorry, I didn’t read your initial post properly.

Does the group have a UPN like securitygroup@domain.com, that you may try to enter?

I'm not an AD wizard by any means, but it doesn't look like I can set a user principal on a security group.

Hi @Nariim,

Could you please share a screenshot for further analysis?

Best Regards,
Angelia

@v-huizhn-msft here's what it looks like:

If I just type in the group name and hit enter, I get the second screenshot, where it just selects the first item in the typeahead, even if though there is an exact match. Interestingly, if I go to the O365 portal and search there, it shows up fine because it is searching by "begins with" instead of "contains"

Screenshot (33).pngScreenshot (34).pngo365 portal.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors