Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jnixon
Helper III
Helper III

Can't download .pbix from report on service

This option is grayed out.  The report was created from scratch in the service.  Cannot create content pack anymore.  Is there anyway to generate a pbix from this meticulously designed report?

12 REPLIES 12
venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@jnixon 

Can you please qucily check the setting in "Tenant Settings".

Path:- Power Bi Service >> Settings >> Admin Portal >> Tenant Settings >> Export and sharing settings >> Export Data.

EXport Data-ENabled Setting.JPG

If you have any concerns, please let us know.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

The tenant settings were as you suggest. Everything is enabled for entire org except Certification.

I can "Download the .pbix file" for the following (from reports all on the same workspace "A"):

1. A report created with PBI Desktop connected to a dataset contained in the workspace "A".

2. A report created with PBI Desktop connected to a dataset not in the workspace "A", but then published to the workspace "A".

3. A report created within the service connect to a dataset in the workspace "A".

I cannot download the pbix file if

4. The report was created in the service in workspace "A" and is connected to a linked dataset that is in workspace "B":  

Datasets.JPG

A central tenet of the deployment strategy is to used central datasets in IT-administered workspaces, then let users create their own reports in other workspaces that are connected to those central datasets.  But i can find no way to generate a pbix file from a report that was created within the service (with browser) that is linked to one of these 'external' central datasets.

Must i recreate all of them from scratch using PBI Desktop??

venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@jnixon 

I tried to re-pro the issue from my end. But i can able to see the option to download the PBIX file.

Can you please try to create a sample report by using the same data source and access the same dataset from Power BI desktop and create a report and check for the option to download the PBIx file.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

Yes, this was part of my testing and troubleshooting.  I tried each of the methods described in my earlier post:

1. Sample report created with PBI Desktop connected to a dataset contained in the workspace "A".
  2. Sample report created within the service connect to a dataset in the workspace "A".
  3. Sample report created with PBI Desktop connected to a dataset that exists in workspace "B", but then published to the workspace "A".
  4. Sample report created in the service in workspace "A" and connected to a linked dataset that exists in workspace "B".

So, four reports, each created with a different method.  Only method nr. 4 results in the Download .pbix option grayed out:

pbix grayed out.JPG

Are you sure your report is source from a linked dataset?  Meaning, the dataset icon has a link, as shown here:

Datasets.JPG

Thanks for your time helping me with this.  I'm thinking this might be a flaw with MS PBI.  Meaning, it should not be allowed to create a new report in the service (sourced from a linked dataset) if it can never be downloaded as a .pbix...

venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@jnixon 

For your reference i am trying to share the snippet.

jnixon-1-PBIDesktop.JPG

Workspace:- Test

Dataset:- Snowy34-Testing

Report Name:- Snowy-Testing-Diff Workspace

jnixon-2-PBIDesktop.JPG

Workspace:- Sample

Dataset:- Snowy34-Testing

jnixon-3-PBIDesktop.JPG

I can able to see the option after publish the report to the different workspace.

Note:- I would like to suggest you to create a support ticket for the issue to investigate.

If you have any queries, please let us know.

Please share the support ticket number here for reference.

Thanks Venal.

I think you tested scenario nr 3 in my previous post, which also works for me.  Your first snippet is from PBI Desktop, and indeed you are connected to a dataset in workspace "Test" and then published it to workspace "Sample", right? 

But Scenario nr 4 is the problem (report created from within the service).  Would you please try one more quick thing?  Go to your workspace "Sample", then to the Datasets.  You should see the little link symbol (first blue circle), meaning the dataset is in another workspace.  Then click on the report creation icon (second blue circle).  Save the report then see if you can download that one.  If you can, then the problem is with my configuration.  If you can't, then the problem might be with PBI.  Probably i'm doing something that is not supported by MS, but they let me do it anyway without warning.

Createrpt.JPG

Depending on your result, i will open a support ticket.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Anonymous
Not applicable

I may have found a workaround that seems to have worked for me.

• Go to the Workspace where you published the Report you weren't able to download the PBIX file.
  • Enable "Include in app"
  • Then click on Create App
  • Once you've created the App, go the app that you just created.
  • Go to ..., then click on View Related

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 10.28.36 PM.png

• A panel will show up on the right, click on the ...
  • You should see Download .bpix

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 10.28.57 PM.png

I hope that works for you.

- jessie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like I spoke too soon.  I can download the PBIX file fine, but it's the original that I uploaded.  It doesn't have any updates I've made in the Power BI web.  I've tried doing a sync, but that didn't seem to help.  Back at it I guess.

venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@jnixon 

As suggsted i followed the same and tried to apply 4th scenario.

But i can able to see the "Download PBIX" option.

jnixon-4-PBIDesktop.JPG

Please refer the above snippet.

venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

A. Once you create the report, you will need to save. 

B. Exit the report 

C. Open the report again and you should see the download option in the File Menu

If I answer your question, please mark my post as a solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Tomas Santandreu Polanco |Principal Business Intelligence Consultant
www.designmind.com

Thanks, but that does not seem to be the problem.  Even after saving, the download as pbix option is still grayed out.  There are two reports in this workspace, both of which source on a linked dataset from another workspace.  The only difference between the two reports, that I can see, is that the problem report was created from within the service workspace and the other report was created within PBI Desktop and uploaded to the service workspace.  Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors