Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

roselilly23
Advocate V
Advocate V

Can't download .pbix file from dataset

Hi, 

I have recently noticed that I can't download the .pbix file for some datasets - which I have published to service from desktop. I can still download some .pbix files, it is just on some datasets I cannot. 

The pattern I have noticed is that if the dataset just has one report - I can export it fine. If the dataset is being used for multiple reports - there is no option to download the .pbix file for the dataset. This definitely didn't use to be the case it is going to be a massive issue if not resolved.  

Thanks,

Rose

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
roselilly23
Advocate V
Advocate V

Hi,

Sorry I have realised what the issue is now. The datasets we can't download are actually a live connection to azure analysis services. Even though they appear as Power BI datsets, they are not which is why we couldn't download the file. 

Thanks,

Rose

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
roselilly23
Advocate V
Advocate V

That's it thank you. Please close.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Click the name of the report from the "Report" tab in powerbI service. click edit on the top left to edit the report, File > download.pbix

it will work for Live connections as well. 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @roselilly23,

Glad to hear you find the issue by yourself.

Is there any further question you would like to get help from us? If not, may I close this thread? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
roselilly23
Advocate V
Advocate V

Hi,

Sorry I have realised what the issue is now. The datasets we can't download are actually a live connection to azure analysis services. Even though they appear as Power BI datsets, they are not which is why we couldn't download the file. 

Thanks,

Rose

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @roselilly23,

Please check if you have edit permission on the report. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
roselilly23
Advocate V
Advocate V

Hi,

I am aware of the limitation and I can confirm these reports were definitely created in Power BI desktop. The datasets also do not have incremental refresh.

Thanks,

Rose

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @roselilly23,

From this article, you can see there is a limitation

• The report must have been created using Power BI Desktop and been published to the Power BI service, or the .pbix must have been uploaded to the service.

In your scenario, please check if these reports created on Power BI service directly. If it is, it's not be able to download pbix file. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors