Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stephenmelbourn

Can't connect (app.powerbi.com) to AWS RDS PostgreSQL instance due to certificate validation error

I'm using the web based Power BI to try to connect to an Amazon RDS instance of PostgreSQL.

I can add the dataset and report for the AWS RDS PostgresSQL into the web based Power BI via the following procedure:

1. Install Windows Power BI app
  2. Following this Power BI community post add AWS public key into Windows' trusted CA store for Local Machine
  3. Add PostgresSQL dataset into Windows Power BI application and provide credentials
  4. Create report based on this dataset
  5. Publish report and dataset to web based Power BI

When I try to use this published dataset for reports, it complains of not having credentials. When I try to add these credentials I receive the following error.

Failed to update data source credentials: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.'
Activity ID:    ----
Request ID: ----
Status code:    400
Time:   Wed Dec 01 2021 14:51:24 GMT+1100 (Australian Eastern Daylight Time)
Service version:    13.0.17186.43
Client version: 2111.3.08807-train
Cluster URI:    https://wabi-australia-southeast-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

I've faced and been able to overcome this error with the Windows Power BI client via the updating of the trusted root CA store.

The challenges I face in my situation are:

• I'm not able to add a power BI gateway
  • I can't find a way to add to trusted certificate authorities in the web based Power BI client. (Is this even possible?)

Are there any other ways I can overcome this issue so I'm able to add a dataset in the web based Power BI client that targets my AWS RDS PostgreSQL instance so I can create reports that are updated automatically?

2 REPLIES 2
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @stephenmelbourn 

Has your problem been solved ? If it has been solved, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regard

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @stephenmelbourn 

I think you can try to use the Postgres connector to get data from the data source which you deploy on AWS.
Then you need to use a gateway to manage data source refresh(turn on the option to use gateway handle cloud data source) and install the 'remote access credentials' to the device that you installed the gateway and handle these operations.(it used to verify the AWS credentials)

Merge or append on-premises and cloud data sources 

BTW, you can take refer to the following blog if it helps:

Connection of Power BI with RDS PostgreSQL on AWS from Scratch 

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors