Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kmccormick
Frequent Visitor

Can't Publish from Nov. 2017 Release of Desktop

Hello,

When I hit "Publish" from the Nov. 2017 version of Power BI Desktop, nothing happens. I don't even get an error dialog box. I have tried reinstalling and repairing the installed version, but nothing seems to work. I reinstalled the Oct. 2017 version and was able to publish again. Is anyone else having this issue? What can I do to resolve it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I received a response from my ticket - they said it is a known issue and they're working to fix it, but in the mean time to use the October 2017 version. 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
angelakephart
Helper I
Helper I

Where do I find the October release?

Hi @angelakephart,

I upload october desktop to onedrive, you can check it at below link:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoIROK69-Gf7gnx_61RtDZgDwT_m

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
angelakephart
Helper I
Helper I

How can I download the Oct 2017 version

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @kmccormick,

Update:  Similar issue ticket has been created at CRI 51686230, will update here if there are any ETA.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I received a response from my ticket - they said it is a known issue and they're working to fix it, but in the mean time to use the October 2017 version. 

I am having the same issue, and also received a reply to my ticket saying that this is a bug and to use October desktop until fixed

The issue is now resolved without any action on my end. I am now able to publish from Power BI desktop with all accounts. Not sure what change was made behind the scenes, but magically everything was working this morning.

shaunga59
Regular Visitor

Having the same problem today, Windows 10 - all software up to date.

Hit the publish button and othger than a prompt to save - nothing happens

Will be trying a new download but sounds ominous, tried several reports

kpmaster2k
Frequent Visitor

The same thing happens to me, I'm updating to windows 10 to see if that's the problem, I currently have windows 8.1 Smiley Frustrated

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @kmccormick

Are you able to install Power BI Desktop from the Windows Store?

If not I would suggest possibly going back to the Download location and re-download the file, because at times there are some bugs, and they release an updated version to resolve those bugs.

I tried it also, and it appears to not be working.

As an alternative you can go into the Power BI Service, and upload the file via the Get Data experience.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ - Thanks for the reminder about the Get Data experience on Power BI Service. That does work to update my reports.

I have tried redownloading the update almost everyday since it was released - both from the Power BI website and the Windows Store, but the Publish options still don't bring anything up. Even though I can do it from the Service, it's really annoying not to be able to push updates from Desktop. 

Actually, uploading files directly to Power BI Service only works to upload/update a dataset. It won't upload a new report or changes to an existing report, only update the data for reports that already exist.  

So I'll be stuck in the October 2017 update until I can get this figured out.  

HI @kmccormick,

Have you try to clean up the cache and re-sign in power bi account? I think the issue may due to power bi can't recognize account.

BTW, I also test on last version and can't reproduce this issue.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

@v-shex-msft - thanks for the suggestion! It didn't work though Smiley Sad

Hi @kmccormick,

Since I can't reproduce your issue with similar version, I'd like to suggest you create a support ticket for this.

Power bi support

Submit a support ticketSubmit a support ticket

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors