Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mork
Helper V
Helper V

Can someone explain to me how exactly refresh works?

So I'm using data from project online. In Power BI desktop I select odata feed and after tha transform the data and construct my report. I publish said report to Poer BI Service. I then move over to Power BI Service and indeed the report along with the datasets are there. Now I pin the 4 pages of my report into four different dashboards in order to share them. After that I change a value of a test project in the Project online just to test if it refreshes correctly.

After I changed the value I went to my report file in Power BI desktop and hit refresh, the report refreshes just fine and I can see the change I made not more than a minute ago. In Power BI though its a different story. No matter how many times I mannually refresh my report, under the reports section, the report stays the same and the values that I changed don't change. And also the dashboards dont refresh but I guess that's expected since the report doesn' too.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there something wrong with Power BI. It's been a day now and the reports has still not refreshed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mork
Helper V
Helper V

Ok, so I figured it out. It looks like you aren't supposed to press the refresh button on the report but to go to your dataset in the datasets section and refresh there. Also for some reason the refresh button on top of the dataset didn't work for me but clicking on the three dots next to the dataset name and pressing refresh now did the trick. After that the report was up to date without me pressing refresh. But still I dont understand why there are two separate refresh functions, one for the reports and one for the datasets. Anyway, my problem is solved now.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
mork
Helper V
Helper V

Ok, so I figured it out. It looks like you aren't supposed to press the refresh button on the report but to go to your dataset in the datasets section and refresh there. Also for some reason the refresh button on top of the dataset didn't work for me but clicking on the three dots next to the dataset name and pressing refresh now did the trick. After that the report was up to date without me pressing refresh. But still I dont understand why there are two separate refresh functions, one for the reports and one for the datasets. Anyway, my problem is solved now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors