Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

eddydm
Advocate II
Advocate II

Can security be setup concerning the visibility of the dataset

Is it possible to put some security on a report (published to a workspace) use by the power bi service so that a user can see the whole report, but can't see the dataset used in this report?

I don't mean RowLevelSecurity. I want a user to see the report. He may see all the data regarding a visualisation (lets say the export of a table to see how many male/females there are in a company), but not the whole dataset (lets say the list of staffmembers with names, gender, birthdays, ... )

Thanks in advance for any idea/solution.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@eddydm When you share a dashboard with the users they see dashboard and report behind it but not the dataset. 

View solution in original post

greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

With access to a dashboard the end users will have access to Q&A on the dataset(s) behind any of the visuals in the dashboard.

Even if you disable the display of the Q&A search box on the dashboard, an end user can trivially access Q&A by appending "/qna?q=" to the URL of the dashboard.

If the dataset does not support Q&A (e.g. a live connection to SSAS), then this would not be a concern.

The distribution methods that will support this are sharing of a dashboard or view-only membership in a group workspace. A content pack will always include the dataset.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

With access to a dashboard the end users will have access to Q&A on the dataset(s) behind any of the visuals in the dashboard.

Even if you disable the display of the Q&A search box on the dashboard, an end user can trivially access Q&A by appending "/qna?q=" to the URL of the dashboard.

If the dataset does not support Q&A (e.g. a live connection to SSAS), then this would not be a concern.

The distribution methods that will support this are sharing of a dashboard or view-only membership in a group workspace. A content pack will always include the dataset.

@greggyb Thanks for the info. I will accept it as a solution for my problem, because you informed me about those risks. It's not a real solution for my problem. I think it is not possible to make the dataset invisible (except by using SSAS which is not implemented in our company).

The dataset is not visible in Publish To Web.  Only the Report Pages can be viewed.

www.CahabaData.com
greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Any live connection or DirectQuery source will behave the same. It is imported data models that pose the risk with Q&A

CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Also the Publish-to-Web feature will achieve what you seek.

www.CahabaData.com
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@eddydm When you share a dashboard with the users they see dashboard and report behind it but not the dataset. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors