Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kaushik_asv
Frequent Visitor

Can one replace or choose a different Dataset for a report that has been published?

Statement: Report 'T' has been published on a particular dataset 'D1' and is being used by nearly 8 users. - A new dataset 'D2' was made available a week later, with more columns. 

Issue: The only way I know - is to create asimilar report 'T1' using the pbix file of Report 'T' and selecting the 'd2' dataset from desktop. 

When I publish this updated pbix file to Power BI service, it creates a duplicate of the report. 

I intend to make an update to the report 'T' that was already shared and is being used by our team. Is there a way I can replace the dataset 'D1' with the updated 'D2' through Desktop or Service, on the published report 'T'?

Thanks in Advance. 

Kaushik ASV

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @kaushik_asv,

To dynamically change dataset used in a report, you can generate a Query Parameter. You can either change the parameter value in Power BI desktop or in service. For details, please see: Power BI Desktop Query Parameters, Part 1

But in your scenario, since Report 'T' has been created without any parameter and has been published to service, it is not able to change its data source. One workaround is to create a similar report 'T1' using the pbix file of Report 'T' and still save the new report with name 'T'. When you publish the new report 'T' to service, it will overwrite the old one.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GapReggie

I had this same issue and realised that a quick and dirty way might be to update the datamodel for the original dashboard. You may follow these steps

1. On the "Data" pane on the far right, right click the three dots (...) after the dataset name

2. Select Edit Query

3. Clock on Data source settings

4. Click "Change Sourse..."

5. Enter the credentials of the new data source

6. Click ok

7. Click close to retuen to the PowerQuery Editor

8. Click "Close and apply" to apply the changes and refresh. and you are good to go

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @kaushik_asv,

To dynamically change dataset used in a report, you can generate a Query Parameter. You can either change the parameter value in Power BI desktop or in service. For details, please see: Power BI Desktop Query Parameters, Part 1

But in your scenario, since Report 'T' has been created without any parameter and has been published to service, it is not able to change its data source. One workaround is to create a similar report 'T1' using the pbix file of Report 'T' and still save the new report with name 'T'. When you publish the new report 'T' to service, it will overwrite the old one.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I was able to replace the report using the pbix file and republishing it with my changes while using the same report name. It prompted me to check if I meant to replace existing report. I'm glad I could make these changes without having to resend a newly created report just for the sake of a few tweaks. Thank you @v-yulgu-msft

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors