Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AndrewDang
Helper IV
Helper IV

Can not sign up for Power BI with Microsoft personal account

Hello all;

Please help me with this issue that I have been trying to troubleshoot in the past two weeks or so.  I had signed up for a Microsoft personal account using my work email address by mistake.  When i am trying to sign up for a new Power BI account using the same email address, it detects that i have an account associated with this email address already; hence it redirects me to the sign - in page.  I could sign in to my Microsoft personal account (associated with my work email address) but i could not get to the Work or School account.  I could not sign up for Power BI account because of this. 

I have tried to contact the Power BI Desktop Feedback group but the conversation has not gone anywhere yet.  Please help me if you have tips/tricks to troubleshoot this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Andrew

32 REPLIES 32
sunilraskar
Regular Visitor

Yes, using the personal account you will not able sign .in the Desktop and use the Power BI portal. 

You will have to create .onmicrosoft.com partner account and use this account to sign in

To create the Microsoft account visit here - https://signup.microsoft.com/Signup?Dap=False&QuoteId=79a957e9-ad59-4d82-b787-a46955934171&ali=1

then you will have a new office 365 mailbox with an email id  xxx@yyyy.onmicrosoft.com.

Use this to signup the free Power BI account. 

Hello,

Sorry, is this a safe URL? Seems like a referral link! What are DAP, QuoteId and ali parameters?

winstonkasaval

Ok guys, pleas help us out here. This is so frustrating!

It says "we know you", then when I go to the next screen it says invalid user name or password.

When I try reset my password, it doesn't know my ID.

I am also testing this as a the first person in my organisation of 5000+ people. 

Seriously, this is becoming a deal breaker at this stage.

Hi guys,

Any solution? We are suffering from the same problem.

Absolutely frustating!

Hi guys,

Im facing the same issue here. so frustrating. i want to publish my dashboard and want to view my Dashboard from my phone. please help to resolve this issue.

Hey guys, any solution?? 

Hi @AndrewDang,

Not sure if this will work but this is what I have in mind.

1. Unlink your work email account from your Microsoft account replacing it with another or creating an outlook.com adress

2. Try again to sign up for Power BI with that account (it might take a while to replicate)

I'll keep digging on our side anyways to fogire out if there's something else that can be done.

Data for Everyone! We mean it

Thanks Miguel;

I have tried that but I could not change my email account.  If I select option to delete my account, the account will be marked to purge but it will not happen until 05/15/2016.  I need this now, though.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks;

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Any further information about what kind of issue you get when you're trying to change the email address?

@Vicky_Song

@MiguelMartinez

Vicky and Miguel;

I have created another alias with Outlook.com.  i then changed my sign-in alias with the Microsoft account using my new Outlook alias and deleted my NWNatural email account.  I then tried to signed up for PowerBI again and it still detects that i have another account with this email address. I am however unable to sign in using my andrew.dang@nwnatural.com account.

PowerBI Error.png

I have just got off the phone with Microsoft account support at 425-635-2970. The rep could not help me with deleting the account either so I am not sure what is the right path to move forward here.

Please help.

Thanks;

Andrew

I have also tried to sign up to PowerBI with my outlook.com email and PowerBI did not accept that as well. (nice try, Andrew, LOL).

Having the same issue, did you ever resolve this?

I did not resolve this yet.

@Vicky_Song

@MiguelMartinez

We are wondering if you have any solution on this for us?  I have been waiting for a long time to set up my account (it is not 5 second to sign up any longer for us in this case).

Thanks Vicky and Miguel.

Andrew

Thanks again for the details @AndrewDang, will keep researching about this.

Thanks @MiguelMartinez.  Please keep me posted.  I really want to be able to sign up and use the service as soon as possible.  Please let me know if you need any other information from me.

Thanks;

Andrew

Dear All,

How good I have found this thread!

Unfortunately I have exactly same problem as @AndrewDang explained is his original post :

I had signed up for a Microsoft personal account using my work email address by mistake.  When i am trying to sign up for a new Power BI account using the same email address, it detects that i have an account associated with this email address already; hence it redirects me to the sign - in page.  I could sign in to my Microsoft personal account (associated with my work email address) but i could not get to the Work or School account.  I could not sign up for Power BI account because of this. 

@MiguelMartinez and @Vicky_Song , please advice how to fix this as I am (we are) not able to logon to PowerBI at all and are unable to fully experiment with such fantastic BI tool. And I am sure there is more people with same problem.

If you need my work email address I can provide it via PM message.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Sylwester

@MiguelMartinez; @Vicky_Song

I am wondering if you have any findings for us on this?  We are still waiting for a solution in the past two weeks.  Please help us ASAP.

@Didi_NewFlyer; @sylwestercz;

I have not have any solution yet. I will keep you all posted.

Hi @AndrewDang

We are still researching on our side since we haven't been able to reproduce the issue with multiple tries. We are working closely with the Azure Active Directory team to sort this out as fast as we can.

Sorry I don't have any more updates for now.

Thanks @MiguelMartinez

please keep me posted since i have been waiting for a solution on this for a long time already.

Please note that I have checked with my IT department and verified that we don't use Office 365 (hence we may not have a tenant account set up yet)

Thanks;

Andrew

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors