Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can not see any on-prem gateway in scheduled refesh

I have installed a on prem gateway with sucess, manage to add a datasource, in this case a file (the same I use to build the report and dashboards). But when I try to schedule a refresh the option to select a gateway is not possible. Only the personal one is available.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous The name of the dataset (PBIX file name) does not need to match. It is the connection string information that has to be an exact match in the Desktop to the Gateway Datasource, otherwise it won't show up.

For example, if you connect to a DB via an IP address in the Desktop and then use the name of the instance/database then you would not see the gateway as an option.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

@Anonymous Are there any other data sources in the dataset? I've also seen that if you have already deployed the dataset/report and built dashboards before the Gateway was established it is not recognized. I've had to re-publish from the Desktop in order for the OPD Gateway to show up.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I have only one file as datasource.

And yes I had already publish it previously.

And does the name of the pubish report be the same as the data source? Somewhere I red that the names should be the same. Is there a "naming convention"?

@Anonymous The name of the dataset (PBIX file name) does not need to match. It is the connection string information that has to be an exact match in the Desktop to the Gateway Datasource, otherwise it won't show up.

For example, if you connect to a DB via an IP address in the Desktop and then use the name of the instance/database then you would not see the gateway as an option.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That solved the problem. 🙂 But now I have to redo the report... 😞

@Anonymous You shouldn't need to redo the Desktop report... You can change the connection string (as long as the data aligns with the current connection)

In the Desktop, on the top ribbon Edit Queries -> select the query or queries -> 

And you can do one of two things to modify the datasource connection

On the far right under "Applied Steps" -> click the gear icon next to "Source"

OR

Click "Advanced Editor" in the top ribbon and modify the M code connection string directly.

This assumes that the connection string just needs to be modified to match, and that the underlying data structure from the source is the exact same.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Seth_C_Bauer I tried what you suggest but I can not. Postgres to ODBC. 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well. I already started. 🙂

But the problem is that I can not delete the "old" datasource. Or I can after removing it from all queries?

And if I have both datasource the gateway is not present in the published data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors