Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Extrobe

Can no longer access by PowerBI account after change of email address

Not sure this is realy something that I can be helped with through this channel, but I'll give it a go.

I use a dedicated account for powerBI (as I couldn't use my primary 'personal' account), and so signed up with myname@mydomain..com

No problems there

However, the other day, I changed the account to powerbi@mydomain.com (so same domain), but can no longer log into PowerBI. I get 'We don't recognize this user ID or password'

I can log into the account fine through account.microsoft.com - and have tried changing password, changing security backup numbers etc - but I still can't get back into my PBI account.

Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
Extrobe

It looks like this might be a bit messier than I thought!

On the plus side, it turns out I can still log in... using the original email address (even though I changed it - and have the email confirming it was changed, and can manage the account using the 'new' email address I created)

However, I happened to recycle the original email address to link it to my personal account - so I now have 3 accounts - two of which are using the same email address.

powerbi@mydomain.com - which seems to have been created as a by-product of me changing the email address

myname@mydomain.com - linked to my personal account (which I use to sign into windows, and my o365 Home account)

myname@mydomain.com - linked to my powerbi / 'corporate' account

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Extrobe that's right you will need to signup with your new email address to powerbi.com. if you have O365 i think there is some setting where you can cancel subscription for power bi for previous email address but i don't think it will work automatically. signup with your new email address and that should be ok. basically within power bi you login with your individual email account so if that changes there is no way it can pick that up automatically.

Thanks - that makes sense I guess when you consider a 'corporate' setting - where you wouldn't necessarily change the email address of a given user.

Presumably, given I have two accounts on the same domain I can 'share' with myself?

What's a little odd though - the reason I changed it is I wanted to use myname@mydomain.com with my personal account, but couldn't because it was linked to my 'corporate' account - yet that's what I've actually ended up with - a personal account and 'corporate' account on the same email address - this could get messy 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors