Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can external users set up an Email Subscription?

Hi,

I have a number of reports shared with external users. I know I'm not able to set up an Email Subscription on their behalf but are they able to set these up themselves when they access the report?

I can't see anything that says either way.

Thanks,

MarkJames

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there

When you share a report or dashboard the user who is consuming the share will require to have a Power BI Pro license.

The only alternative is for the App Workspace to be using Power BI Premium, which you can then share via the App, which should then allow them to subscribe.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

I can confirm that users who access a report that has been shared with them via an App will be able to subscribe themselves to the Power BI report.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @GilbertQ,

My reports are in App Workspaces but I've not shared the App itself, only the report within the App. Does this prevent external users from subscribing themselves?

I'm not sure I fully understand the implications of sharing the App versus the report and how that works from a user perspective.

MarkJames

Hi there

When you share the report it sends them a link to the report.

When it is shared via an App, they can possibly see multiple dashboards and reports in an App Workspace.
I tested the above via sharing via an App, then clicking on the report page, and it gave me the option to subscribe.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Was the external user you shared the report with, not via the app, on a free or Pro license?

I've had someone try it and they're being asked to upgrade to Pro.

MarkJames

Hi there

When you share a report or dashboard the user who is consuming the share will require to have a Power BI Pro license.

The only alternative is for the App Workspace to be using Power BI Premium, which you can then share via the App, which should then allow them to subscribe.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors